Boiler help - can I get dual heating controls from my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Vokera Mynute 14e with a simple timer (it only controls time of day, not days of the week) to control heating which also heats the hot water. I am hoping to install a 3rd gen nest, and it would be great to have separate heating controls for heating / water. I have no other thermostat or programmer anywhere in the house. I've been trying to find out if the boiler I have is capable of this and need a little help...

The service manual (which covers the Mynute 10e, 14e and 20e) includes this wiring diagram for the connection of a Vokera twin channel programmer, which looks like the boiler will accept separate call to heat for heating (5&6) and hot water (3&4).

Mynute14e.png

When I opened the boiler to look at the terminal strip, I saw this diagram :

Boiler1.jpg

So a very similar diagram. The way the boiler operates at the moment, its either on (heating and water) or off, obviously implemented here as a switch on pins 1 & 2. As pins 3-6 on the terminal strip have no label, does that imply that my particular boiler does not have the ability to turn on heating and hot water separately? Or just that it isn't hooked up like that at the moment?

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd very much appreciate it
smile.png

Sponsored Links
yes you can use nest 3 which will give you separate control over CH and HW, you will however have to look further to see if you have 2 x 2port valves S plan) or 1 3 port valve (Y plan) these are usually in the same cupboard as your HW cylinder post some pics of your set up and the existing wiring at the boiler terminal strip and you will get the advice you need

Thanks for reply. This is the setup of the HW cylinder, I'll need to open the boiler panel for a closer look at the terminal. Does this shed any light? Do these valves need to be motorised or something for the boiler to control HW separately?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_145f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_145b.jpg

during the summer,how do you turn off the central heating ?

Sponsored Links
I can't, if I'm using the gas boiler to heat hot water it heats the rads as well unless I turn them off (I have TRVs on all rads). I do have a separate electric immersion heater but that's just a manual switch, no timer on that either

then if you want to use a smart thermostat you will have to add additional controls , not electrical, either 2 x 2 port valves or a 3 port valve to your system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back