Boiler help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a combi boiler in the house and it's about 20 years old. There's a hot water switch (on and off) and a heating switch (on and off). These always remain at the 'on' position. The heating is set to turn on and off at specific times during the day which it has been doing without any hassle.

On Monday night the heating was on fine and the next thing the house begins to get cold. I go through and check the boiler and the wee blue flame is out. I turn the hot water switch to 'off' and after a few seconds the blue flame ignites and the heating comes back on. I gave it a few minutes and turned the hot water swtich back to 'on' and the same thing happened again - the blue flame went out.

In the mornings the heating is set to come on at 6 and it does, even if the hot water switch is at the on position but the flame eventually goes out and the heating goes off.

I'm preparing myelf for the worst.

I got through the harsh winter there in November - January no problem which surprised me as it was on a lot of the time.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it would help if you give us a wee bit more detail. That'll enable one of us to have a better guess at your problem. Do you know the make & model of your boiler?

What part of the city are you from?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but by the way you write are you elderly?

Haha, I'm 29 thank you very much! :LOL:

It's a Myson Midas boiler. Me and my wife moved into the house in March last year and we got a British Gas out to service the boiler so we could sign up to their maintenance scheme. The engineer came out, looked at the boiler and scratched his head. He said he hadn't seen our boiler in all his years.

I'm from Hamilton.

I'm preparing myself for the worst.............

Those boilers have an overheat that interrupts the thermocouple and pilot failure is the symptom.Not a great boiler IMO and age is against it.There were a few variants of the Midas and none were great.
I think the time has come so don't spend too much money on repairs.Not a boiler for diyers.

Sponsored Links
Haha, I'm 29 thank you very much! :LOL:

It's a Myson Midas boiler. Me and my wife moved into the house in March last year and we got a British Gas out to service the boiler so we could sign up to their maintenance scheme. The engineer came out, looked at the boiler and scratched his head. He said he hadn't seen our boiler in all his years.

I'm from Hamilton.

Hamilton eh....Oh well we all have our cross to bear!!!

Was the Midas the twin pump pile of sh.te!!??!

Looks like you need a new boiler mate.

It's no surprise the BG CPS was stumped & I'm sure he'd not have the Midas on his laptop. So he'd panic & bolt.

Probably best to ignore RichieHoneybucket, he is a known troll who has been barred a number of times, and this is his latest alias.
He has never worked in the trade in any way shape or form.

Probably best to ignore RichieHoneybucket, he is a known troll who has been barred a number of times, and this is his latest alias.
He has never worked in the trade in any way shape or form.

No work again today Ben? I think it's time you go back to your old job in ASDA mate, these shelves will not fill themselves!!!

Actually Dick ( above ) runs a heating firm in Glasgow and could send an engineer to potentially repair it.

But it is old and some parts are no longer available. There are very few still left. It must be at least four years since I last fixed one.

So a replacement would often be the best solution and Dick could gove you a quote.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back