Boiler Issue (heating only, water working fine) (moved from trade talk)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the cold weather kicking in my boiler has suddenly decided to play up (perfect timing). The issue I'm having is with the heating (hot water working perfectly), the light next to the radiator sign is no longer lighting up. I changed the mechanical clock, it worked for about an hour and turned itself back off and has continued to work intermittently. Its seems to be that it is not receiving the message asking it to be on as oppose to an issue with the heating system.
The model of the boiler is Main Combi 30 Eco Elite, there is not thermostat i adjust the temperature and time with the controls on the boiler.
Any suggestions what else it could be?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You will get better response if you post in the plumbing / heating forum. Please include .. The name and model of boiler, the same for controls , timer / programmer , do you have a wall thermostat ,is it wireless etc .regards terry.

Thank you for the reply, I will update post with suggested information.

Sponsored Links
You stated that you changed the mechanical clock ,do you mean you have replaced it for a new one ,or just re set it ? Have you set it properly or tried it in manual position ? Are there any fault codes showing on the digital display ? ( an "E " followed by a number ). Is the rotary switch on far left ,set to the radiator and tap position ? And the CH temperature dial set ? More info you give the better ! Regards terry

I replaced the mechanical clock with a new one as i read on here it was likely this was the issue, this caused it to work for an hour and since then it has been working intermittently. I have tried it on every setting with no joy. There is no error code showing up, when it turns itself off the pressure gauge goes to 2, as soon as the heating turns back on or i turn hot water tape on it returns to 1. The setting is on radiator & tap, temperature dial set.

Thanks for concise answers. Was the boiler doing the same with the old timer ,hence you renewed it ? If the boiler is starting up ,without you doing anything, sort of when it feels like , that would point to the timer settings or a fault with the timer .

yes it was doing the same with the old timer, this only started 3 days ago though its been working fine for the last 2 years. Even when the setting is "Constant" its turning itself on & off. i read on another thread about changing the PCB?
Thanks for the advice

Hmm , the only other things beside the PCB are the wiring and connectors at timer and PCB. By the way have you tried to reset the boiler ? Bit of a long shot ,but if you turn the re set knob anti Clockwise against its spring pressure and hold it there for 6 seconds ,then release. You then need to wait ten seconds and re set the timer to manual on ( constant ). Then see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back