Boiler Kettling and Desludge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My trusty old Worcester Heatslave 2+ started kettling noisily recently. Black oxide probably came off the cast iron boiler sides and deposited at the bottom of the boiler above the burner.

The primary circuit was last flushed with acid about 20 years ago, so not surprising some corrosion has taken place.

A quick call to my gas engineer who pointed out that most of the proprietary descaling and sludge removal chemicals sold in liquid form are neutral pH these days and don't actually dissolve sludge, but break it down into suspension prior to power flushing.

As I needed to dissolve it, and not having a power flushing unit, I was recommended citric acid as a suitable chemical to use. The sludge, which is dense, was not being washed out of the system from any drain points by the pressure of refill water alone.

Two kilogrammes of citric acid, dissolved in warm water, did the trick. Added via the primary system header tank it dissolved all the sludge in about two hours with the pump and boiler running. Drain water showed iron in solution as green and orange clear liquid, which I ran until it became colourless. I neutralised the system with 200g of bicarbonate, drained again and refilled.

The kettling and popping completely disappeared.

This could hardly have been more straighforward, made all the more so by having a simple, if somewhat inefficient by today's standards, boiler.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I always think that it's worth removing and flushing each rad, if you can, given that your system was so sludgy and 20+ years old.

Thank you, Pete. Yes - I have included the radiators in the flush, although simply by passing citric acid through them. They all seem ok and heat evenly.

One observation: the citric acid/iron citrate solution circulating around the system is denser than cold fresh water, so the heated liquid stays at the bottom of the radiators for quite a while before the mixture fully equilibrates. Once flushed out of course everything returned to normal.

All the best.

I have to say that I would have used just 500g of citric at a time and on the HW circuit only.

That would have been repeated a time or two.

I might have circulated some of the solution through the rads after the boiler had it first.

I would also have used some sulphonic acid if in a hard water area.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony,

Agreed. I did start with the HW circuit and progressed to the rads. There was significant amount of black oxide - 2kg of acid produced a pretty dark green effluent from the circuit but did the job perfectly. I might run 500g through every year or two from now on to keep it clear of sludge.

Water hardness is such that I do not get a significant amount of limescale - it doesn't adhere to anything. Thanks for the sulphonic acid tip.

George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back