Boiler Kettling in the Morning, Pump Problem????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I have an Icos HE15 boiler (bad boiler I know but only fitted in feb 2010 in the kitchen). It makes loud banging noises for about an hour every morning. I think this may be Kettling as it sounds like bubbles inside the boiler and metal contracting.

The heating works but the radiators downstairs do not get as hot as the ones upstairs.

there is a grundfos 15-50 pump in the airing cupboard which makes a sound every so often which is like rattling but also sounds like air passing through it. bearings???

I have read that kettling is mostly causes by scale build up but would this be the case in a fairly brand new boiler??

Could it be a pump problem??? i.e the pump is not pushing the water round the system quick enough???

I posted this earlier in the week and was all ready to get a new pump fitted but just thought i'd see if anyone else had any suggestions before going ahead.

Please help....as I need my sleep and the bloody thing wakes me up every morning .

thanks

Sponsored Links
this boiler is less than a year old, wheres your installer, its still under warranty contact the manufacturer if the boiler has a problem as i said, its still warrantied.

this boiler is less than a year old, wheres your installer, its still under warranty contact the manufacturer if the boiler has a problem as i said, its still warrantied.

thanks for reply,

The boiler warranty doesn't cover me if the boiler is fine and there is a problem elsewhere i.e flow or pump etc. I would likely get stung for the call out.

Do you think I should contact the people who installed it?

yes, dont know what else was changed at the time the boiler was replaced but if another old part may need replacing eg pump, then anyone will charge you, if the boiler is kettling then your installer should have p/flushed, eas this done, there's lots of questions that could be asked, ultimatly if you have a reasonable relationship with your installer im sure they will sort the problem.

Sponsored Links
yes, dont know what else was changed at the time the boiler was replaced but if another old part may need replacing eg pump, then anyone will charge you, if the boiler is kettling then your installer should have p/flushed, eas this done, there's lots of questions that could be asked, ultimatly if you have a reasonable relationship with your installer im sure they will sort the problem.

Unfortunately I don't know them as we only moved in in May. I think the only thing that was changed was the boiler, the pump doesn't look ancient but is not new.

To be honest I don't know if it Kettling or not, my plumbing knowledge is pretty non existent but I've read quite a bit on these forums and that's what I've come up with. all I know is loud bangs come from it and the sound of metal contracting but only seems to happen when starting up in the morning or when it hasn't been on for a while. Plus the pump in the airing cupboard rattles regularly.

I do know a plumber so think I'll have get him round in the first instance.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back