Icos HE15 banging and Gurgling on Startup - Pump Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope someone can help with this problem.

I have recently moved into a new house with an Icos HE15 (only fitted in Feb). Note: I have very little knowledge of CH and plumbing.

The boiler seems to function fine and does not return any error codes or cut out etc but when it starts up in the morning there are loud banging and gurgling noises from it, then the radiators start to tick. It also sounds like the metal inside the boiler is contracting. This goes on for about 40 minutes after about a 20 minute warm up.

There is a Grundfos 15 -50 pump in the airing cupboard upstairs which regularly makes a noise which either sounds like air bubbling though it or bearings rattling around.

Could it be that my pump in not pushing the water around quick enough which is causing the water in the boiler to get too hot??

The Rad's downstairs dont get as hot as the upstairs either.

All rads have been bled so doesnt seem to be air locked anywhere.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Could be the pump yes, they also get siezed up.

Your bigger problem is you have an Ideal boiler, lump of ****e ;)

Could be the pump yes, they also get siezed up.

Your bigger problem is you have an Ideal boiler, lump of s***te ;)

Thanks John - Yes when we moved in I thought, Awesome...a new boiler. Then I learned they are the worst boilers in the world. :cry:

Do you think the grundfos 15 -50 is powerful enough? I dont know much about the pumps, should I get a one with more beef?

Thanks

15-50 is fine.

Before going out and buying a new pump head, take old one off and give it an inspection as this may not be the cause.

Sponsored Links
Sorry should have added that the impeler should spin freely and obvious no crud should be visible.

Sorry should have added that the impeler should spin freely and obvious no crud should be visible.

Thanks will do - not changed one before so should be interesting. There a valves either side so hopefully shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks Again.

Don't worry about the boiler, they ain't that bad unless fitted badly, they are no worse than the rest of the crap out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back