Boiler leaking after drain and refill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I drained my central heating system to relocate a radiator. Everything went fine and I filled and bled the system. Within a couple of hours, the pressure has gone and there is a pool of water under the (combi) boiler.

I didn't go near the boiler. Where might I have gone wrong??

I'm off to have a good look for the leak.

Thanks.

UPDATE:
Ferroli boiler. At the rear of the pump, there's a black can shaped part with a brass 'lid'. On top of that is a black screw cap. This was a few turns loose. I tightened it up and the leak stopped. I'm guessing this is a bleed screw? I'm a bit confused why it wasn't leaking before.

Should I be concerned?

Sponsored Links
The part you are talking about is the auto air vent.
That vents the boiler of air on filling.
Sounds like it is fault.

Probably ok to leave it screwed down or perhaps vent it again
after a few days running. Ideally replace the part.

That will be an auto air vent and this can sometimes happen after a drain down. The little valve inside has failed to close and the best solution is to replace the valve. Tightening the cap will do for now, but they are normally left loose for the air to escape.

Note to self........must learn to type faster.

Sponsored Links
Is this the same as a pressure relief valve?
I have a jaguar combi which has recently been leaking form the back end of the pump. It only leaks when the heating is on. Is it a simple job for a diy'er to replace this valve?
Sorry, not meaning to hijack post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back