Boiler Leaking or normal? Feedback welcome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, we had a new combi heating install back in Feb by a glow work approved installer (Ultimate 35, 10 new rads and new copper fittings).

Four weeks ago noticed with the warmer weather the boiler pressure had risen 0.2 bar to 1.7. Installer had left it at 1.5 and it never moved off that for 3 months! Checked the rads as thought might be air in the system and there was in the upstairs rads. Bled them and kept the boiler pressure to 1.4

Couple of weeks ago noticed pressure dropped to 1.3. We're having new flooring fitted downstairs so I wanted to check this small drop was not a leak before it gets installed in mid July so I topped back up to 1.4.

Checked it again today and it's back at 1.3 so again did a quick top up to 1.4 Heating has not been on for a couple of months.

I don't go around intentionally checking it but the boiler is in the garage where the freezer is located so can't help but see it!
No idea if this is just normal and forget it or if I need to monitor to make sure it doesn't drop further? (say 1.2) that would indicate an issue.

There's no obvious signs of any leaks on the rads or pipework that's exposed or around the boiler. There's a lot of pipework I can't see under the floorboards.

Thought I'd put it out there for peace of mind. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Boiler pressure will go up and down (slightly) with the ambient temperature. Hot day, water in system expands, pressure goes up. Cooler day / overnight, water cools, pressure goes down.

Boiler pressure will go up and down (slightly) with the ambient temperature. Hot day, water in system expands, pressure goes up. Cooler day / overnight, water cools, pressure goes down.
Eh? New one on me on a sealed system. @MrBosch it could be a small leak. I would leave the pressure set and monitor it.

@CBW thanks for your reply. That's what I thought about the sealed system. Out of interest what sort of drop in say 4 weeks from 1.4 would suggest an issue/leak?

I do have a feeling the system is settling, weird thing is the pressure didn't budge for the first 2 months (in fact rose a bit!).

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
It could vary depending on the speed of the leak, but I would expect it to drop 0.2 bar at least

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back