Boiler losing pressure (no leaks in pipework)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler is a Greenstar 30CDi combi. Last week the pressure dropped to 0. After filling boiler up to 1.5bar it will drop to 0 bar in less than 6-7 minutes. Went under the floorboard and checked all piping, no signs of leak.
Eventually I found the condensate pipe is discharging glugs of water with the boiler switched off.
Anyone know what the cause could be, losing that amount of water so fast??

Sponsored Links
The main heat exchanger has a hole in it, how old is your boiler ? it may still be under warranty.

The main heat exchanger has a hole in it, how old is your boiler ? it may still be under warranty.

It has a manufacturer date of August 2008, I think it was bought early 2009. If it was the heat exchanger, would it leak that fast. It is losing around half a cup of water every 6-7 seconds, the boiler is completely empty after 5 minutes.

Something else that might be of relevance. There is a magnaclean fitted under the boiler , I was told that turning off the two valves connecting to the Magnaclean would isolate the boiler. I tried it after filling the boiler to 1 bar and it does not leak after doing this.
Would the condensate pipe still leak with the boiler isolated if the heat exchanger was leaking?

primary heat exchanger leaking would give those symptoms.

Sponsored Links
As the other chaps have intimated, really only a hole in the Primary Hex would give you that symptom of water constantly running out of the condensate until the boiler empties and reads 0 on the gauge. Does the pressure on the boiler gauge stay at 1 bar when you isolate the valves around the filter?? if so then there's something really weird going on.

I wonder if the op is confusing the prv outlet with the condensate pipe ?

I wonder if the op is confusing the prv outlet with the condensate pipe ?

It is definitely the condensate pipe. I put a balloon around the smaller copper prv outlet and nothing came out over 3 days.

You could turn off the cold water to the combi to see if it's the secondary heater leaking, but it's unlikely to be. When you turned the magna cleans isolating valves off, it just isolate the magna clean, as the water is still flowing round the other way; in fact, depending on the model, it may not be doing a damn thing to the boiler flow, so I'm a little surprised over this.

Its probably a 30 cdi combi.:cool: (as that's wot he wrote in the first line of his post)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back