Boiler loss of pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just having a few problems with my combi boiler and hoping someone with a bit of knowledge can help me out.

To start off, my boiler keeps losing its pressure on the front digital gauge. Dropping to 0.6 bar and a red light flashes, I have to unscrew a blue bleed valve of some sort. Raise the pressure to 1.0 bar and all is fine again. But when the heating is off the next time you come to the boiler its flashing again. SOmetimes this happens 3/4/5 times a day and some days it seems better.

Now when i unscrew the blue bleed valve and raise the pressure to 1.0 bar, i close the valve and seconds after i have a few drips of water from underneath the boilder somewhere (not sure if this is normal)

The boiler is a glow worm 24CI
Now im pretty clueless when it come to this sort of thing so any help in what to look for or check would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
When the heating is on, does the pressure eventually rise to 3bar or over?

If i set the pressure to 1.0 bar, when the heating is on the digital gauge on the front instead of showing the temp, if flashes 2.8/2.9 bar. But doesnt seem to go higher than that. But it doesnt always flash.

That is still too high, you will need to re-pressurise the expansion vessel. Also, the PRV (pressure release valve) is probably now leaking which is why it looses pressure when it is off too.

To double check, tie a bag to the copper pipe which should terminate outside. It's usually bent inwards towards the wall to prevent hot water being discharged on anyone.

See here for how to re-pressurise the EV: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=251090#251090

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help, I shall have a good read through that link tomorrow, when im a little more awake.

Right then after leaving the heating alone all night woke this morning to find the pressure was on 1.0 bar (first time for everything)

Right im going to check it all over today, You say about putting a bag on the pipe outside? Does it matter if i have had the heating on or do i need it on? Please excuse the basic questions but i really dont have a clue.

ALso do you know where i will find the Schrader valve?

Thanks

Just to mention, the heating has been on for about 10 mins and the display is flashing 2.8 bar :(

Managed to find the pressure vessel shrader valve. Removed the cap pressed the valve inside and got no water and very little air out, just a hiss for about 2/3 seconds if that. Is this right?
Now when the heating is on the pressure reaches 2.8bar and then there is water coming out of the vent pipe outside (which shows the prv is working) Now how do i see if there is any water in the pressure vessel?

Quick update.. Seems repressurizing the pressure vessel has done the job. The pressure is at 1.2 and has stayed at that since i drained it etc yesterday. All seems good so far.
Thank you so much for your help.

Sorry about not replying, my topic reply notifications seem to have failed temporarily. Glad you got it sorted :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back