Boiler misbehaving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm having problems with my Halstead Finest Platinum boiler. The system can run fine for a few hours then shuts down into fault mode. This can be for no apparent reason or sometimes when there is a call for hot water.

The boiler diagnostics show a water pressure fault. Once the system enters fault mode it can be difficult to restart the system. Often it wont restart at all although strangely it always comes back on the following morning when the heating fires up. And again, runs fine for a few hours.

When it's in its fault mode the pump continues to run (don't know if that relevant??)

Anyone got any thoughts on the most likely cause?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you see words like Finest, Platinum, Hero, Best, one expects top flight component. I am surprised Halstead Fonest Platinum is not functioning correctly:ROFLMAO:

Difficult to say exactly what the fault could be without attending the boiler and testing.

DP, how can you besmirch one of England's finest pieces of engineering? :mrgreen:

I am not at all surprised that it is not working properly, that model rarely does.

The PCBs are pretty unreliable.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I was thinking it could be the PCB because of the erratic nature of the problem. It came on fine again this morning, had a shower, went to work, 1 hour later the wife started running a bath and the system locks out. She switched the boiler off and went out for the day. Came back this afternoon and everything is fine again. One thing for certain is that it's getting worse!

I'm not going to complain about the boiler, it's served me well for the past 12 years with only a new expansion tank about 2 years ago (although others, I know, haven't been so fortunate).

I guess the underlying question is ... should I scrap it. With a fault like this that is difficult to pinpoint, I could end up replacing half the components getting to the route of the problem only to find that something else goes shortly after.

If I replace, what would you recommend ... Worcester Bosch (35cdi) or Vaillant or other?

Thanks again.

You could try switching it off at the mains but give it at least 10secs before switching back on, this may reset it.
Obviously needs fixing properly or replacing tho.

SOMETIMES you can see dry joints on the PCB and I have occasionally kept a few going that way pending replacement.

But I refuse to do it a second time when the owner has not replaced the boiler and expects me to always make it limp along.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back