Boiler Noise concerned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I,ve got a Baxi Solo 2 60 PF bolier, everything is working fine, hot water and boiler but i,ve started to get what sounds like a very heavy breathing or venting sound when the boiler starts up, sounds like its from the boiler ,it only started happening with the latest cold spell we have had but that may be coinsidance, its getting quite loud now and although alls working at the moment i,m getting concerned, is it overheating perhaps.
Help Apreciated.
Daz

Sponsored Links
Fan beginning to seize up?
Thanks for the reply is it dangerous in your opion to leave for the time being then.
The boilers a good few years old now, is ther an easy fix solution, would i get away with flusing the system out, not been done for a while.

No not dangerous, if its the fan, it will just not light eventually.
A little wd40 at the bearing might prolong the problem.
With outer casing off you can check the fan on initial start up from cold, if it struggles - the fan on its way out.

Sponsored Links
No not dangerous, if its the fan, it will just not light eventually.
A little wd40 at the bearing might prolong the problem.
With outer casing off you can check the fan on initial start up from cold, if it struggles - the fan on its way out.

I,ll let it cool down and have a look, what sort of job is it like to change the fan and i take it the bearing housing if thats the problem.

I did one just before xmas, fan was £120 I think + vat, took 10 -15 mins from memory,but check your skill set may be best to get an RGI.

I did one just before xmas, fan was £120 I think + vat, took 10 -15 mins from memory,but check your skill set may be best to get an RGI.

Competance wise i should be o.k ,sparky by trade, i,ve not changed a fan before but the manual look,s clear enough,is it definatly the fan in your opion, when you say check fan on start up, i take it you mean witht the combustion box door removed, sorry for all the questions, help apreciated.
Cheer,s
Daz

No not the combustion cover - that will invoke all sorts of comments.
From memory just the outer casing & you can see the fan and the block connector for the leccy for the fan.
It may not be the problem - you need to assess/ check fan operation, as I see you have learnt a new word - kettling, could be that.
Get an RGI if unsure.

No not the combustion cover - that will invoke all sorts of comments.
From memory just the outer casing & you can see the fan and the block connector for the leccy for the fan.
It may not be the problem - you need to assess/ check fan operation, as I see you have learnt a new word - kettling, could be that.
Get an RGI if unsure.

Trying to learn a new word every day, on this unit you can,t see the fan unless the door is removed, its situated high up in the boiler housing, its hard to tell when you turn on but sounds like the fans running o.k.

If it is the fan you should only notice it struggling from cold start up. When its been on a while it may be quiet,until it gets more knackered.
This is what makes diagnosing so much ffff fun :D

If it is the fan you should only notice it struggling from cold start up. When its been on a while it may be quiet,until it gets more knackered.
This is what makes diagnosing so much ffff fun :D

What i,ve just noticed is i,ve turned the boiler control down and the noise has almost gone now, also the noise can only be heard when the boiler stops running, should the fan have an overun to expell hot gases each time the boiler stops, it seems o.k on start up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back