Boiler Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI There
i've got my boiler covered by British Gas Homecare. Last week it started to make a droning noise( like a light aircraft going over the house) out came BG and the engineer removed the thermostatic valve from the radiator in the bathroom (nearest the boiler) saying the system needed a heat sink. Now i don't know anything about central heating but I do know that 2 other rads already have no thermostatic valve fitted. He also turned down the heating control on the boiler (not the temp in the room).

Although the sound appears to have gone since the system has been ok for the past 5 years with the heat setting at max and the thermostatic valve fitted is this a load of rubbish and covering an underlying problem.

Also what effect will the fact that the heat setting has been turned down have on gas usage.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not an Isar/Icos by any chance is it?

Turning boiler stat down reduces the water temp the of the water leaving boiler.

Hi
The Boiler is a Brittony SE80. I take it that because the water temp going to the rads is now not as hot I will use more gas to get rooms to required temp.

Cheers

gary

Sponsored Links
Hi palerider
Thanks for your answer. Up until now I have had no problems with the boiler and have been very happy with it's performance. Reading the forum there appears to be many who like the boiler and equally as many that don't. I suppose its down to what you as engineers see in the field

Thanks again for your comment

i would see how the system performs when its colder if the rads get hot on a lower setting on boiler you should be ok, however you should still be able to have the boiler on higher setting , mayby the heat hexchanger is getting noisey as it gets hotter, did the engineer offer any explanation to noise other than removing trv head and turning boiler stat down, mayby worth a call back if your not happy.

Hi palerider
Thanks for your comments. I was not in at time just my other half. But the engineer never gave any comments on why he had done what he has,

I have turned the setting back up to max and will see what happens, if all ok then will refit stat valve,

Thanks again

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back