Boiler Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a yarn this with a combination of things happening at the same time.

Had a new radiator fitted around a year ago and almost immediately after I found water intermittently flowwing out of the C/H header tank pipe.

Called a friend a friend of a friend who is a central heating engineer said it was 90% likely to be my boiler t/stat so he ordered one without doing a thorough investigation and came and changed it. The T/stat didn't fix the problem however I eventually traced the cause to my hot water cylinder . When I changed the cylinder I had to drain the whole system down.

Since the cylinder has been replaced I now have a lot of bolier noise. I did put a one shot treatment into the system but it doesn't seem to have worked. The t stat control needs to be right down (below 1) to get it to switch itself off . It is controling however I think it is getting very hot before it switches out. I have a suspicion that the t/stat is incorrect and that the old one was OK.

Are T/stats with different ratings available? i.e. could this be the problem? OR could it simply be the system needs flushing?

I kind of suspect it's the t/stat.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be grateful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes - there are lots of different types of boiler thermostats (and NTC sensors, and ....) and if you don't tell us what boiler you've got , how are we supposed to guess? Also, many boilers have TWO thermostats: one which regulates temperature and the other cuts out on overheating. I assume you're talking about the temperature control?

Hi Croydon corgi,

Yes I am referring to the temp control t/stat. The boiler model I have is an Ideal Standard E Type series 2 conventional flue gas boiler. Model number CF.40/60. Quite a dinosaur i know :eek:

Not sure if this has a temp cutout t/stat or not.

Perhaps this info may help with the diagnosis :?:

If water is 'flowing' out of the vent, it's probably being PUMPED out - as a result of a partial blockage somewhere in the system. In these cases, the path via the vent and F&E tank becomes the 'path of least resistance'. Such a blockage could also cause the boiler to overheat due to lack of circulation.

If it's just dripping out or coming out in 'spurts', you're probably correct - the boiler is overheating or even boiling.

If the boiler burner runs continuously unless the T/stat is 'below 1', then the boiler should be OFF until it's fixed! Quite likely its the wrong thermostat or faulty or (maybe) the sensor probe is not fully inserted into the pocket on the boiler heat exchanger. Follow the thin copper tube coming from the back of the stat and check. There should be heatsink compound on the probe to maximise heat conduction.

Sponsored Links
Checked the temp t/stat today and it does work however there is lots of popping and banging going on before it gets any where near cutting in.

Everything seems to be working OK but for the noise.

What could it be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back