HOT WATER......Too hot problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a WORCESTER 24i greenstar boiler installed for ten months, and its running perfectly, At the time the boiler was installed we had the CH/HW system changed to a fully pumped system, and a Cylinder stat put onto the HW cylinder. However, our hot water is really HOT, too hot.....I have slightly adjusted the cylinder stat downwards, but that has made no difference, so i have a couple of questions for you. Is the control knob on the front of the boiler a TEMPRETURE contol. ie adjusting this will alter the temp of radiators and HW. And Whats the best way of testing the Cylinder stat is working.....and If i turn the sylinder stat right down will it turn the boiler off or just stop the pump. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
what have you turned the cyl stat to. and what is temp of water
could be motorised valve letting by

24i that i know is a combi. your cylinder is probably running on electric.
i-series and junior installers don't seem to like doing a proper job

24i that i know is a combi. your cylinder is probably running on electric.
i-series and junior installers don't seem to like doing a proper job

is that not the junior(I hate all these similar names and numbers)

Sponsored Links
i-series has no plate exchanger and no separate controls.
Junior is the smaller and cheaper version of the big one.
At least that is how it used to be with the standard models.
At least I think so.

I only fit cdi’s, the cheap ones are used by the same sort of people that like ideals and ravenheats, apart from those exceptions that confirm the rule, builders who “have a CORGI to sign it off”.

I have NEVER seen a 24-I that was installed correctly.
I have seen one that seemed not too bad, but sure enough it wasn’t flushed and starting to play up.

They are both combi's, not teaching you how to suck lemons, but, you can have a cylinder off a combi. never done it nor seen it though aware it is possible.

Would suspect cylinder stat, is it set to 55`c.

efiste2, please let us know what system you have as it appears we are not sure as worcesters seem to do more than 1 24i.

He's got the 24i system mick with a faulty or incorrectly set cylinder stat ;)

got your crystal ball out again? or did i miss something

my boiler is a WORCESTER GREENSTAR 24i system. as far as i know its a condenser boiler but NOT a combi. The cylinder stat was at 65 so i turned it to around 55. And the water is still very hot. so before i call the plumber back id just like to do a simple test to see if the cylinder stat is at fault or even attached to the cylinder properly.........and will it make a difference to the HW if the temp knob of the boiler front is adjusted........Thanks for trying to help by the way ;)

Ah, 24I system.
In that case, temperature knob on boiler will change the flow temperature to rads AND cylinder. Cylinder stat will, or better said should in this case, limit the temperature of the tap water.
When ch is off, cylinder stat will turn the boiler off when satisfied.
They do fail sometimes, but more likely that it has come a bit loose and does not make contact with the cylinder.
Just feel if the cylinder stat moves easily when you touch it, if it does, tighten it up a bit.

when you turn cyl stat up and down does the boiler go on and off, turn off heating to do this check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back