Boiler noises!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello hello, I am hoping anyone can help me. I woke up this morning to what sounded like someone trying to saw through the cooper pipes in my house, the noise only lasted 5seconds if that, but happened every 10mins ish while the boiler was supposed to be heating the water. I couldn't quite locate where the noise was coming from, but since has stopped after I turned of all the heating. The pilot light is ok, I am getting both gas and electricity to the boiler no problem, and 30mins after I pressed a switch near the boiler on the wall I heard a boiling noise.

Please please please can you give me some advise on what could be wrong i.e. if it is the boiler itself or just the pump

Sponsored Links
Pump could be jammed.

To unjam (if it's Grundfos or similar) use large screwdriver to remove chrome screw in centre of pump body. then use smaller screwdriver to turn the pump rotor in the direction shown by the arrow. If it won't turn easily - it's a dead pump!

A small amount of water will come out when you undo the screw.

If the rotor is free, are you sure there's water in the system.

Your description of the noise does not resemble a dry pump - but bear in mind that the pump is WATER LUBRICATED and will destroy itself very quickly if run dry.

Perhaps I should add, water will be at boiling point. If you are not careful, it will scald you. On some pumps, the water shoots out when the center screw is removed. Try previous suggestion only if you are comfortable :eek:

Sponsored Links
It's not too much of a problem to start with as steam usually hisses out when you crack the screw, leave it 'til it's finished hissing. You can tell if this is likely to happen as the pump will be incredibly hot to touch. Have a container to collect the drips, I find it gets uncomfortable using a cloth, as it gets too hot to hold quite quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back