terrible boiler noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Ariston EuroCombi SX
The boiler makes a terrible noise as it approaches it maximum temperature (full flame). Sounds like boiling a empty kettle. The radiators heat up nicely at the lower temperature settings (low flame) and the boiler noise is minimal. How can I cure this noise problem, please help??? Thanking all advisors in advance.

Sponsored Links
Put some boiler silencing chemical in the system. The boiler has scale deposits on the inside, and the system may need cleaning as well. The chemicals can be found at diy sheds and plumbers merchants.

Re: Noisy Boiler

I have cleaned out the system with boiler de-scaler and poured some noise silencer into the pipes. Now the operating boiler sounds more rolls royce than vauxhall cavalier.

Thanks for your assistance, oilman.

I am having a similar problem, our eurocombi has started to make kettle boiling type sounds when the thermostat is on full, but then soon after it cuts out (little switch on the bottom pops out).

Had a proper gas man out he did something and said it was fixed but a week or so later it was doing it again, got him back same story and now he has gone "uncontactable".

Could this cutting out be caused by scale etc or is it something more serious, considering just replacing it but seems a bit drastic.

Sponsored Links
In the first instance check if the gasman is CORGI registered AND can work on boilers. You can do this by visiting CORGI website and asking for a CH engineer by entering HIS postcode. If he is registered, his trading name will come up.

Then you could call him by suppressing your phone number. He has taken money and not produced the goods so trading standards may want hear about your experience.

Your boiler heat exchanger will hold about a liter of water which is heated by a 28,000 wats of energy. If this water is not moved away rapidly, it soon reaches temperatures where safety circuit kicks in and shuts everything down. Failure may be due to control circuit failure, system debris (this buildup is gradual- does not take place suddenly) or limescale.

Does the boiler function correctly in HW mode?

DP said:
In the first instance check if the gasman is CORGI registered AND can work on boilers. You can do this by visiting CORGI website and asking for a CH engineer by entering HIS postcode. If he is registered, his trading name will come up.

Then you could call him by suppressing your phone number. He has taken money and not produced the goods so trading standards may want hear about your experience.

Was thinking about getting on to trading standards, my old man arranged him so will have to check out his details re the corgi stuff, but I think he is registered.

DP said:
Your boiler heat exchanger will hold about a liter of water which is heated by a 28,000 wats of energy. If this water is not moved away rapidly, it soon reaches temperatures where safety circuit kicks in and shuts everything down. Failure may be due to control circuit failure, system debris (this buildup is gradual- does not take place suddenly) or limescale.

I seem to recall it did it now and again last year (cut out) but nowhere near as frequently as it does this year, every times its on full this year it cuts out after a short while.

DP said:
Does the boiler function correctly in HW mode?

I think it may have cut out once or twice earlier in the year when the heating was off but I cant be sure. It certainly cut out no more than 3 times during the year (well untill the heating was on all the time when it got to winter) and we only have a bath and 6 people in the house so it did a lot of baths and stuff with relatively few problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back