boiler not firing up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a Myson Apollo fanfare 30/50, which i have left on continuously, to keep the house at a reasonable temp during this cold weather, now all of a sudden it just doesn't fire up? for C/H or H/W, the pump is working, i have bleed the system, so no air trapped, is there some sort of reset button somewhere?i have turned the boiler off and on, and now have a problem with the pilot light staying on???? any help would be nice... there are only so many coats one can wear before one cant move!

Sponsored Links
The first step would be to get the thermocouple changed so the pilot stays on. Strictly speaking that's a CORGI guy's job.

What you have in there is a flame failure device and it works like this:

1) You press or turn something against a spring and light the pilot with a spark. What you're doing is holding a small gas valve open to let gas through to the pilot jet.

2) The pilot heats a thermocouple which generates enough electricity to power a tiny electromagnet inside the gas valve. This now holds the pilot valve open so you can let go.

3) Now you turn the knob from 'Pilot' to 'On', or words to that effect. The main gas valve is electrically operated by your heating controls but it will remain firmly shut if that pilot valve isn't open.

From this you should see that the boiler will never light if you can't get the pilot to stay on. There are a number of reasons why a pilot might keep going out. ChrisR has mentioned a common one, namely a duff thermocouple, but don't condemn it out of hand. The thermocouple can only do it's job if it's adequately heated by the pilot - and another common problem is a partially blocked pilot jet. Yet another possibility is that an overheat thermostat is wired in series with the thermocouple. These things are usually fixed high up on the heat exchanger and when they pop they must be manually reset.

Strictly speaking, you should have a corgi before you do anything more than reset the stat but it's nice to know how things work.

Please help - I have relit the pilot in case that was the problem but the bolier still doesn't fire up when the CH is turned on. It was making an incredible racket until the other day and now nothing! What is the problem do you think?

Sponsored Links
Could the 'incredible racket' be the fan bearings and now the fan is knackered?

Boiler wont fire unless fan is working and proved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back