Boiler not igniting when thermostat bypassed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A central heating system has stopped working following a new thermostat being replaced. This is a general system boiler, vented with pumped CH and gravity HW. The boiler ignites properly for the HW, but the pump does not respond despite the thermostat being on. I have checked the stat with a MM and can confirm that the ‘common’ terminal is live, as is the ‘demand’ terminal (when switched on).

As an interim measure to ensure that the pump had not failed, I bypassed the thermostat and connected the pump directly to the programmer’s switched live supply. This, of course, caused the pump to operate, but what is really confusing is that the boiler then no longer ignites. Would anyone have any clues as to what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
What I always say in these cases is that you should not have taken on a job if you dont have the necessary skills to deal with any complications which may arise!

Doing that gives our profession a bad name and does not help you keep a good reputation.

Obviously the wiring needs to be checked against the standards for the system.

Tony

A bit more information about the old and the replacement thermostat and the boiler might give a clue.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back