boiler not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, pilot light went out last night...do not know why. This morning, managed to ignite pilot light , but boiler itself will not ignite with CH and HW set to continuous and thermostat up high. Boiler is fairly old Ideal Concorde CF, Model number 60N. The pump seems OK (this is only a couple of years old) , and I think the motorised valves are OK. Any Ideas ??? All help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If the pump is running them id suggest the motorised valves are ok.

Check the black push on plug is tight into the boiler controls and also that the push button on the gas valve is fully retracted after you pushed it in to relight.

Sounds like a gas valve problem. You need a Corgi reg. engineer for that.

It's not one of those where after lighting the pilot you have to turn the knob to main burner ?

The pilot going out could be the thermocouple on it's way out - did you have to "hold" for a long time to get the pilot to stay ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your quick responses...You do not have to turn the knob to main burner on this one, and yes, I did have to hold a long time before pilot stayed lit...can I tell whether the thermocouple is alreght or not by viewing through the glass ? i.e. does the flame burn differently or anything like that ? I think the thermocouple was last replaced about 2 years ago. Tried the other suggestions from Harrogategas, but still will not fire up.

Normally, if the pilot is staying on, the thermocouple is doing it's job. Other than checking that the eletric "on" is reaching the boiler - hence checking the plug etc., you need a boiler engineer.

If the pilot goes out after a while suspect the thermocouple. Don't know if adjusting the pilot light is allowed for DIY.

dal5band said:
Don't know if adjusting the pilot light is allowed for DIY.
Gas work is not prohibited for DIY - it's being competent that the law insists upon.

Thanks guys for all your help. Problem solved. BG engineer found that the solenoid which controls the gas valve opening was faulty, so replaced that and boiler fired up. He also discovered that the operating pressure I was getting was only 14 millibars, instead of 21, so a call to Transco and within an hour he came and fitted a new govenor - the plastic bit inside had broken off and was causing the low pressure. BG engineer has since been back and set up pressures for the boiler correctly (could not do it before as press. too low) . So everything OK now and my daughter wont be moaning this evening as she can now have a shower before she goes out .

Hi.

I noticed this thread whilst troubleshooting my own problems with my Ideal E-type CF 60N boiler and was wondering if I could lend some of your knowledge and expertise!?

I've replaced my hot water cylinder recently due to a leak. The boiler was operating fine at the time of the leak. Since the cylinder has been replaced and the CH system re-filled i'm having trouble.

My boiler fires up as usuall except now the the pump inside does not appear to be working. The external pump for the rads is, I can hear it and it has water inside. However, after a few minutes of fully fired up all pipes are still cold, that is the rad pipes and the flow and return to the cylinder. So I have shut it off again. Everything was working fine before the cylinder was replaced!

Does anyone have a pdf copy of the installation/servicing manual for this beast? Or can anyone advise on their experience with this boiler type?

Thanks

How many pumps are fitted to your system? If the boiler fires then its not a boiler fault but a system fault.

Hi,

There is a pump connected to the rads circuit which comes on as normal when I select CH from the controls. Checked inside the pump, there is no air and water seems to be flowing ok.

I'm guessing there is another pump for the primary circuit to the cylinder inside the boiler, but i've yet to open it up and have a look. I've been trying to find a servicing manual online but no joy!

Tried firing up the boiler again last night but when I noticed no pipes were heating up I turned it off! Don't want to risk overheating it or the pipes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back