Boiler will not ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Buckingam Halstead boiler (or Halstead Buckingham, can't remember which way round it is).

A few weeks ago it wouldn't ignite - so no HW or CH. Plumber came out and replaced the gas valve - all was well but now it's doing it again. The power is on and the pilot light is lit.

This morning I tapped the front of the boiler and then switched the timer off and on again and it ignited - I know this isn't very technical but any ideas what is wrong ? I'm assuming the new gas valve is OK.

Sponsored Links
Assume nothing. Get the guy back again, unlikely, but may be the valve in which case he should change it.

Probably there was nothing wrong with original valve anyway. With intermittent faults it's difficult to know if you've actually fixed it.

Sponsored Links
You need the manufacturers instructions (try downloading from Halstead web site). There will be a fault finding section that you can work through.

Other Halstead models have very common intermittent faults on their printed circuit boards. I have not had personal experience of your model though.

A PCB fault can give almost any combination of apparent faults.

It is very easy to identify a faulty gas valve IF its faulty when tested. If not then its pure speculation what the problem actually is.

Unfortunately there are some engineers who will change almost any part on the boiler without really knowing if they are faulty or not. I call them "parts changers", not engineers with proper diagnostic skills. If you are the victim of one of these you usually realise it pretty quickly!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back