Boiler not working after moving radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: One of my radiators was moved. After being replaced, each rad in the house was checked for airlocks, but water came from each. When swithched on, the boiler (Potterton) started banging after a minute or two. I then checked the pump for air and some did escape. After this, the banging ceased - however, the boiler only runs for a few minutes - one of the pipes gets very hot - then it cuts out. There is a swishing noise which I assume to be the pump. Any ideas what the problem is - could there still be an airlock in the system - or is the pump damaged ?

Sponsored Links
Problem is that a pump won't pump if it has (any) air in it. Check around where the boiler pipes go into the hot water cylinder, often there's a bleed point there. Check there's ploenty water in the header tank. Make sure you're bleeding the system with the mtorized valve(s) open - ie , eg,push small lever on end to "manual" position.
If all else fails try turning the pump round to push the air to where it can be bled out - then turn it back again!

Thanks for the advice. I unsrewed the main nut in the centre facing of the pump and started the boiler. The pump was turning alright and a little water escaping from where I had removed the nut. I left it run for a few minutes with the nut out and eventually some air escaped. Boiler is now working fine so I think removing the nut and allowing to run allowed the trapped air to escape.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Problem is that a pump won't pump if it has (any) air in it. Check around where the boiler pipes go into the hot water cylinder, often there's a bleed point there. Check there's ploenty water in the header tank. Make sure you're bleeding the system with the mtorized valve(s) open - ie , eg,push small lever on end to "manual" position.
If all else fails try turning the pump round to push the air to where it can be bled out - then turn it back again!

Thats a brilliant bit of advice and have had cause to use that me self, blast primary airlocks to wosit. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back