Central Heating Pump bangs every 30 mins and boiler trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system has been working fine until just recently when the pump has started banging and the boiler has started tripping. It has never done this before. When the heating is started up it works fine for about 40 mins and then the pump starts banging for about 3 mins and then it works as normal. After an hour or so the boiler will trip. I have bled all the radiators and it has not cured it. I had a look at the 2 air release valves near to the boiler and one has a red cap loosely fitted on it and the other red cap appears to be missing. Would this missing red cap stop some of the air being able to leave the system and this is leaving an airlock in the system that is causing the pump to bang and the boiler to trip ?

Sponsored Links
It might help if you could tell us what boiler you have.

I have an Ikon 60-80 CI FG.C No.41-047-29 Cat I 2H Fanned Flue Boiler from Travis Perkins and it was installed about 4 years ago.

Ok, I think that's not a combi (?) but I don't know if it's a sealed system or open vented. Any ideas?

In any case, first check that there is enough water in the system - pressure gauge or water level in feed tank. It might help if you could post a photo, but I think the air vent caps don't matter, as long as they're not screwed down tight.

Sponsored Links
It's not a combi and I think that it is a vented system as there is a small tank in the loft next to the main water tank. I checked this at the weekend to see if the ballcock was stuck or there was no water in it. There was water in the tank and I dipped the ballcock down and it filled with more water.

I have got TRVs on all radiators except the one near to the thermostat. Can you explain one you mean about using it as a heat sink ?

If I am to replace my pump and I currently have a Grundfos Selective UPS 15-50 Pump. I have seen a Grundfos alpha that automatically adjusts pump speed, but i don't know whether they are actually any good. The pumps are always quoted in either 5 or 6 meter head, but would it matter whether I got a 15-50 or 15-60 pump ?

The high limit stat is the overheat thermostat on the boiler. Is the boiler getting exceptionally hot ie if pump was faulty or not large enough then the heat would not distribute from the boiler and thus you would get knocking sounds until eventually the overheat stat would trip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back