Banging heating - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Turned on central heating and it does BANG, BANG after about 60 seconds - really loud - then boiler cuts out, showing overheat symbol. Pipe leaving boiler is red hot, and lots of steam out of vent pipe. I think there's air in the system. bled all the rads - still the same. Opended screw on the central heating pump - nothing comes out of the pump (air or water). Will try to bleed the pump agian tomorrow with central heating on, to see if pump is running/bleeds.

Any other ideas on what I should do?

Sponsored Links
you got an air lock
this maybe due to sludge build up crack open a nut and be ready to reseal in hurry

Sponsored Links
To all - your guesses were all wrong.

The pressure had been lost in the system. I noticed in the loft the small pressure vessel beside the megaflo showing 0 for pressure, and remembered that it was usually 1.5 bar. I think it may have dropped when I bled the radiators, but not sure if that's the cause. Anyway, I opened the taps to this vessel, pressurised to 1.5 bar, and bobs your uncle, all working again.

Phew, nearly paid a for a plumber!

To all - your guesses were all wrong.

The pressure had been lost in the system. I noticed in the loft the small pressure vessel beside the megaflo showing 0 for pressure, and remembered that it was usually 1.5 bar. I think it may have dropped when I bled the radiators, but not sure if that's the cause. Anyway, I opened the taps to this vessel, pressurised to 1.5 bar, and bobs your uncle, all working again.

Phew, nearly paid a for a plumber!

you're welcome mike, no problem please feel free to call on us again should you have any more simple questions like that. you will need a 'plumber' one day................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back