boiler positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert economy 7 storage heating to gas central heating. There is a gas supply to my flat, however only the bedroom and lounge have external walls with the kitchen, bathroom and hallways all being centrally located in the block. In cases such as these how and where would you position the boiler in terms of the flue etc?Does the boiler always have to up against an external wall??

Any advise/ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the job it is difficult to comment.
Considerations must also be made for running some pipework to drainage of some description too.
Obviously what with you living in a flat you have limited options and i would recommend a combination boiler.
Im sure if you could upload some pics on to this site of your rooms or external walls there would be a few good suggestions for you to ponder.

flat_003a.jpg

flat_004a.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the kitchen is enclosed with no exterior walls. It is semi open plan though (the electric heater is where the photos join together)

Is it true that all new installations of boilers must be condensing boilers?

Thanks

Yes they should be. There are exceptions but its done on a point system. Im just going to look at the photos give me 1 min.

Sponsored Links
Well there is going to be a LOT! Of surface pipework then! My advice to you would be get some people into quote. Let them give you some ideas and prices. Dont go with the cheapest and ask to see peoples previous jobs. Over a computer you cant see the drainage situation get the barings of the place. But in real life you can,
Im sorry i cant help any more than that. But best of luck with it.

Does your flat have a loft or access to a roof.

Some blocks have a service shaft for soil pipes etc.

Any gas fires in the flat.

One thing I would do is walk around the block and look for any flues your neighbours might have for inspiration, or even talk to them!

Gas might get expensive, with the cost of the install and everything, are you sure you might not be better sticking with the economy 7.

It's not necessarily certain that you'll need a condensing boiler or not. The assessor has to find the lowest cost option of installing the boiler. If the number of points add up to over 1000 then you don't need one.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/pub/731/Guid...tProcedureforDwellingsPDF1258Kb_id1130731.pdf

In your case, your living room has a kitchen, so it can be considered as an option. You don't have a lot of room but I know Potterton do a slim boiler which could go in the corner or between the windows.

The flue on the other side of the wall has to be >1.5m from the boundary of your property & A soakaway would also need to be constructed for a condensing boiler if there's no drain the otherside of the wall. (assuming yours is a ground floor flat). These restrictions don't apply for the non-condensing variety.

In terms of pipework it can either be boxed in around the perimeter of the room or fed up to the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back