Central Heating and Combi Boiler Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

In my little house, I currently dont have central heating installed, just a gas fire in the lounge, and a storage tank with an economy 7 water heating system installed.

In a few months time I want to install a central heating system, with a combi boiler replacing the storage tank/eco 7 system for the hot water and to obvious heat the rads in the house.

Ideally, I dont want the boiler in the kitchen as its fairly small, and has just been gutted and fitted/decorated by myself at the end of last year. The currently hot water tank/eco 7 box is in the airing cupboard upstairs on the landing, fairly central to the loft above. Would it be fine to put the combi boiler there with a flue leading into the loft to an exteranl wall?

Cheers,

Joe.

Sponsored Links
Obviously you need to get an RGI round to survey, but in theory sounds ok. You need to remember that the condense and prv warning pipe need a route out. What about the loft?

Hey,

Yeah, when the time to do it gets nearer, Ill get a RGI out to give me a quote for the installation etc, just wanted to make sure in my mind it was possible :).

The loft? Its a fairly big empty space at the moment, with nothing up there really, none of the walls are connected to either house next door, with a pretty big clearance distance (3 meters or so).

yep the loft would be my first option to site the boiler. On the wall, flue straight out, blow-off straight out, hopefully catch onto a drain for the condense on the external wall. Easy peasy!

Sponsored Links
Really? Thats good to hear, although the loft is unused at the moment. I dont have a loft ladder up to it, or any lights etc as I have never really been up there much lol. But I suppose that the boiler wouldnt really be in use that much, just set the timer and away you go.

also bear in mind that the loft would need to be floored out and a rail put around the loft opening (on the inside of the loft) safety issues?! also i with the boiler in the loft space it will take an age for hot water to reach the kitchen consider this if you have a water meter fitted as you will pouring gallons down the sink waiting for the hot to come through

If the house is small then fitting a loft ladder and some flooring will make available more storage space as well as helping to pave the way for the boiler install there.

Tony

if a boiler is in the loft is it not a legal requirement that you have to have a loft ladder for access to it in an emergency?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back