Boiler Pressure Dop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have my plumber coming out this week to have a look but wanted to run the following by you guys:

Flexicom 18sx - installed 11 years old. Annual service up to 2 years ago. Problems with pressure drops since the install - we only ever have hot water on (1 hour in morning every day and booster when needed), only put the hear on downstairs during winter whenever needed. Only recently started using upstairs (children getting cold). It's not on that much really.
The normal is - we might need to top up at end of autumn (i.e. after hot water on only during spring, summer). But always need to top up every 4-6 weeks during winter (hot water and heat downstairs) - sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. As I reflect back - I think we need to top up more the colder it is. No one has ever gotten to the bottom of it after each service.

Particularly cold here over the last week and since then the pressure drops to zero after every time we turn the central heating on (which is new - which is why the plumber is coming out). In other words - top up, heat on, heat off, pressure drops <30 minutes.

Friday Night:
- Cold System; topped up to 1bar; no heat/no water on

Saturday AM:
- Hot Water @06:00 - 07:00; pressure stayed at 1 bar.
- No Heat/No Water on all day; Checked pressure at 17:00 (raised to 2 bar - not uncommon)
- CH (Downstairs) on at 17:00 - 18:30; pressure raised to 2.5 bar
- Added CH (Upstairs and Hot Water) from 17:30 to 18:30: pressure stayed at 2.5 bar
- 19:00 pressure dropped to zero; topped back up to 1 bar
- No heat/water on for remainder of night

Sunday AM:
- Hot Water @06:00 - 07:00; pressure stayed at 1 bar.
- CH (Upstairs) 13:00 - 14:00; pressure to 2 bar
- 14:30l pressure to 0 bar. (usually the pressure doesn't drop when the upstairs is used - this is certainly new).

Clearly I have a problem

- Leaks: There's none upstairs, there's none in the hot water system, there may be one in the sub-floor. All radiators have been checked and joints cinched up. I don't think there is a leak - as the issue is not consistent. It fluctuates depending on what is turned on (HW v CH) and even then only the downstairs CH and even then when its colder out (we of course is likely related to frequency of use).

- Automatic Air Vent: Not sure if I have one on the system. There's one on the hot water tank.

- Expansion Vessel: I think its a problem with the expansion vessel. Always been a problem, I don't think any plumbers have removed it and tested it when doing the service.

- PRV: I can't tell if this is an issue as there is no tundish, and the pipe is teed into a flow pipe so I can't tell.

So my question is:
- If I top the pressure up to 1 bar today and don't use the heat/water at all for a few days....what would that tell me? (If there is a leak - how long would it take for the water in the system to drain out. I think these systems hold 15 litres max....a leak can be any size, I imagine. So I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string?' question).
If the pressure doesn't drop - does that mean its an expansion vessel / PRV issue? (And if so, why is the HW different from the CH)
If the pressure does drop - does that mean a leak can't be outruled?

- I've seen some suggestions of doing the above, but shutting off the CH outlet and flow (which I think I can do) and also draining it a bit (which I can't / don't want to do)?

Any advice as to how I can narrow this down for the plumber this week would be gratefully welcomed. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yes but has to be done correctly, you dont just pump it up

Of course - I wouldn't touch it. Job for the professionals.

After 14:30 today, I refilled to 1bar.

After an hour it went up to 2.5 bar - and its stayed at that all day. I've everything turned off now heat and water - will see what happens tomorrow.

The pressure will drop when it cools down, because the expansion vessel needs sorting

The pressure will drop when it cools down, because the expansion vessel needs sorting
UNderstood. Final questyion - why is the pressure going up when the system is off.

I pressurise to 1 bar. leave it (no heat on . no water on). and then its climbed (and stayed) at 2.5 bar?

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

then you havent closed the filling loop valve properly, or it it passing

then you havent closed the filling loop valve properly, or it it passing

Passing? That means the stop valve isn't working (or else I'm not closing it tight).

As I say - its been an issue for 10 years....what's new is that its dropping to zero after being topped up (and turned on) immediately - whereas before (last week) it wouldn't go to 2.5 bar cold at all.

Thanks agin.

As I say - its been an issue for 10 years....what's new is that its dropping to zero after being topped up (and turned on) immediately - whereas before (last week) it wouldn't go to 2.5 bar cold at all.

UNderstood. Final questyion - why is the pressure going up when the system is off.

I pressurise to 1 bar. leave it (no heat on . no water on). and then its climbed (and stayed) at 2.5 bar?

Well which one is it ? cant be both

Well which one is it ? cant be both

Yes - dropping pressure has been an issue since install (10 years). It never went to 2.5 bar cold before.

What's new is that the pressure is dropping to zero after the CH has finished a cycle (but not the Hot Water). What is also new is that when I pressurize to 1 bar (after its been at zero) - it climbs to 2.5 bar about an hour or so afterwards. So I'm confused why it would go to 2.5 bar and stay at it.

last time, because when the heating is on (not the HW) the system water is expanding when it heats up, your expansion vessel is there to absorb this expansion but it needs charged so cant do it

And you may well have knackered filling loop valves (they are cheap) not closing properly- if you have the usual Flexi between 2 valves, turn both valves off then disconnect one end of the Flexi. Any drips, sort them out.

Thanks everyone. Had the plumber here today. Still not impressed with the company that put it in originally - no permanent live, no isolation, and a good few other issues.

New safety valve, pumped up expansion vessel, new (and proper) filling loop. We’ll see how it goes for the time being. Looking good so far. Will get him back out to put mag filter and knock in some inhibitor. Great to have someone you can trust.

Appreciate everyone’s time in responding. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back