Boiler pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again everyone, once again needing advise from this great site.

My boiler pressure keeps creeping up from 1.5 bar sometimes going to 3 before it releases outside. The problem seems to be getting worse as the pressure seems to be building up quicker. For example I released it this morning using a radiator valve back to 1.5 but it is already creeping past 2.

The boiler is a Vitodens 200.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately this has not worked. I have got back from work earlier to find a lot of water outside from the relief pipe. Obviously it has built up and released. I was hoping to hold getting someone out for a few more weeks but obviously it is getting worse and knowing my luck if I just keep releasing the pressure for a while I will end up having to fork out for a full new boiler.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and an average estimate cost for a fix?

Cheers.

I suspect that the prv is goosed usually Once activated they continue to let by

What was the pressure at the boiler when you got in from work ? If it was around 3 bar ,then you probably have a more complicated problem.

What was the pressure at the boiler when you got in from work ? If it was around 3 bar ,then you probably have a more complicated problem.

Just my luck :(

It was around 2.5. At around 16.30 I released the pressure using a radiator valve back to 1.5. Currently as of 20.50 it seems to have stuck at that.

I have turned the boiler on to standby though, but it is still powered pn if that helps you at all.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Is that an easy fix for a plumber?

Ignore him... The pillock thinks your pressure is dropping.

If the pressure is rising with the loop disconnected, and the heating off, then you either have a second one somewhere or your plate heat exchanger is guffed.

Alternatively, if there is a preheat on the boiler your expansion vessel might need recharging.

Stadan is correct in saying prvs are not reliable once opened. But you need to address the pressure increase first.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back