Boiler problems. Pilot Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have an old combi boiler that switches off when I turn the hot water off. It isn't connected to any central heating system. I just heats the water to the taps. After I have turned off the hot water and the boiler clicks off, if I turn the hot water tap on again the tap blows out piping hot water and steam. Sometimes there is a clicking and banging noise from somewhere. Either the boiler or the pipes.

Can you help me to diagnose the problem at all?

Thanks,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Gas is staying on and still heating the water. What combi is it

I'm guessing its a water heater. One of them nice ones that catch fire when the plunger gets stuck and leaves the burner on..........
Gas is staying on and still heating the water

wait a minute... :eek:

Sponsored Links
It is definately switching off. The pilot light goes out but when I turn the hot water tap on again it blows out steam and boiling hot water for a few seconds before it goes cold and sometimes there is a banging noise from the pipes or the boiler.

It is a manufactured by Main and is called a Main Mersey.

As we thought you dont have a combi you have a multipoint water heater.

It is not turning off straight away when you turn tap off it has a sticking pushrod and gas is staying on longer than it should before tripping overheat stat and pilot overheat.

Can be very dangerous stop using it and get someone out straight away straight forward repair

If the waterway has got scaled up then the fins will get hotter than normal and retain latent heat which transfers into the water and cause that to boil.

Thats the likely cause if the gas really does go out immediately a tap is turned off.

Tony

Repaired one the other week with exactly this problem......push rod gunged up leaving the boiler thinking it had flow.......switched off slowly so water continued to heat. I would suggest OP gets a repair on the flow switch and gets a new heat ex.....comes as one unit (heat ex that is).....not a DIY job i'm afraid

It is definately switching off.

It is a manufactured by Main and is called a Main Mersey.

He seems sure that it is turning off immediately the tap is turned off.

Even if it was the pushrod sticking then thats not a DIY job either as its a gas control with safety implications.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back