Boiler PRV blow-off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the copper pipework which exits the boiler to bleed the PRV have to be connected together with soldered fittings, or are push-fit acceptable for this application?

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Since boilers have push fits inside them, I don't see why push fits can't be used.

I would say only metal fittings (compression or soldered) since the discharge could be steam at 100°C.

So how do we get over the push fits used in boilers?

I actually use metal fittings to the tundish, and since these are plastic pushfits are no problem thereafter.

Sponsored Links
I would have said because the tundish discharge is a bigger diameter the pressure is'nt as much. We always use soldered. Seen one the other day where 15 mm speedfit pipe was pushed into an endfeed elbow :eek:

oilman said:
I actually use metal fittings to the tundish,...
Tundish? We're talking boiler PRVs here, not unvented cylinders, so no tundish.

As for a boiler's internal seals and joints, that's the responsibility of the manufacturer and the notified body (testing house) that issues the CE mark. Beyond the PRV is our responsibility and we're subject to different standards and can't get away with half the stuff manufacturers do inside their boilers.

chrishutt said:
Tundish? We're talking boiler PRVs here, not unvented cylinders, so no tundish.

Oh? Well I've seen them on MIs. I suspect the reason they're not used mostly is it's more expensive than a bit of pipe stuck through a wall (assuming it's even done as well as that). I came across them last week pointing along the side, towards the front of the boiler :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back