Boiler/pump noise (is the time when it's on relevant?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally, after months of looking, found a lovely place to stay and I would hate to have move again, especially given that I would be leaving in 6 months anyway.

However, the boiler and pump are in the cupboard in my room and this is turning into a problem, because the hot water is scheduled to come on at 6.30 and wakes me up every single morning. I've tried to get used to it, but no luck. I'm not sure if it really actually is worryingly loud or is it just the contrast between complete silence and the pump.. It's mainly an annoying buzzing sound, but occasionally you can hear as if the gas was turned on-sound or bubbling noise. Because of my job, going to bed earlier is not an option. I've tried earplugs, but I can't sleep with them the whole of the night (ears start to hurt) and even if I do, I still hear the sound through them, though quieter, and 50/50 will wake up again. After the boiler turns off, rest of the house has already woken up to their morning tasks for another half an hour, which means I keep losing an hour of sleep every night!

I have thought about asking the landlady (who lives in the house) if it were possible to schedule the hot water to come on at a different time (midnight for instance - I will not be sleeping yet, but it's not too far from her morning shower), but haven't so far gotten anywhere with it. She is lovely otherwise but when I brought up this topic she kind of immediately switched to 'well I can't turn the water off, so I understand if you want to look for a new place'. She and the other tenant do shower in early in the mornings, but as far as I understand it is an electric shower, so I'm confused why she feels as strongly about it turning on at 6.30. It's not like it would cool down in the few hours and if the shower is electric anyway.. What is the boiler even heating then? However, obviously now I'm too scared to press this matter without more knowledge.

I don't really know much about these kinds of things so any thoughts on why she may me as adamant on having it on at 6.30 (I understand the process that the water will be at its peak heat and therefore less money spent, but if it's still warm in the evenings when I shower and is supposed to be an electric shower anyway, this makes little sense to me) or generally any other advice how to sort this situation? Is there anything I can do myself without involving her or..?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Does it really make that big of a difference then money wise? If I offered to pay her like £20 extra a month solely for the purpose of having it on at a different time, would that be a reasonable offer? Surely if I shower in the evenings anyway, it doesn't matter which one of us would be using the 'freshly hot water'...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back