Boiler & Pump not switching off with Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Im having difficulties with my gas CH. Below is a list of the equipment.

Suprima 70L
Super Selectric Pump
Hercal Cylinder
Myson Power extra 2way motorised valves
Altech motor at top pipe to Cylinder
Honeywell L64B1004 at bottom of Cylinder (seems to flow in at top and out at bottom)
Adjustable bypass below pump
Thermostat (manual - adjustable from -20 to +30c)
(above all in garage)
Digital Timer in utility room
Digital Thermostats in hall and master bedroom - these have the function to be set at 6 different times/temps 7 days a week

The problem I am having is that the Boiler and Pump will not switch off at the set On/Off times that I have set on the Timer if the rooms are not to temperature on the Thermostats. Even when the timer is set to OFF (continual OFF) the boiler will continue to fire and the pump, well pump...

The only way I have found to turn the heating system off is by turning the room stats to below its current room temp.

Things I have done:
A plumber recently (last week) changed the motorised valve (altech) which runs IN to the top side of the Cylinder because the orignal valve was leaking. I am unsure if this has caused the problem as we only moved in last week.

Research on here suggests that it could be the motorised valves on the flow pipes. I have discovered that one valve is rusty and the other is slightly stiff. However it seems that the small motors can still turn them on/off - though I am not entirely convinced they are shutting fully. If I remove the motors and watch the rotation they turn freely when the thermos in house are turned up/down.

My intentions we're to replace the motors / valve entirely which will create a little bit of DIY wiring. Having now seen that the motors appear to be working I may just replace the rusty sticky valve instead reducing the chance of electrifying myself :oops:

Really Im looking for the experts to confirm that this is the right more or if not, point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Suprima 70L
Super Selectric Pump
Hercal Cylinder
Myson Power extra 2way motorised valves
Altech motor at top pipe to Cylinder
Honeywell L64B1004 at bottom of Cylinder (seems to flow in at top and out at bottom)
Adjustable bypass below pump
Thermostat (manual - adjustable from -20 to +30c)
(above all in garage)
The clue may be here!

If your boiler is in the garage there should be a frost stat and a pipe stat to prevent things freezing. The frost stat will be set to about 5C, which closes if the temp air temp drops below 5C. The pipe stat, which is in series with the frost stat, opens when the water temperature reaches about 20C.

They are wired in parallel with the normal programmer and thermostat so they will turn the boiler on at any time of the day or night if the temperature in the garage drops below 5C.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Frost stat is above boiler and is set the minus 5c, so can't be that...

Sponsored Links
Yes I know. Only set there in the meantine to ensure its not interfering while I solve this problem.

Anyone?

Can you post a pic showing the kit in the garage? A general view, showing how everything is connected together, is of more use than close-ups of each component (we know what a pump looks like!!).

Unfortunately the only access I have to internet is on my phone just now so can't upload them. I could email them to someone though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back