Boiler pump replacement question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the risk of sounding daft, do I need to isolate my combi boilers flow and return valves in order to replace the pump?

It is a Sime ecomfort 30HE.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You dont have to but you do need to drain the boiler otherwise you will flood the house when you remove the pump.

It sounds as if you might be better off getting a professional.

Tony

You dont have to but you do need to drain the boiler otherwise you will flood the house when you remove the pump.

It sounds as if you might be better off getting a professional.

Tony

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I thought it looked fairly straight forward but i'm probably wrong:

Drain boiler/unplug power from pump (its a plug type)/remove 4 allen screws and take pump off/refit new one.

I got a quote for £250 off a plumber. I can buy a new pump myself for £110 or a second hand one for a tenner of ebay.

Obviously if it's gonna be a more complicated job i'll have to pay the plumber.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I thought it looked fairly straight forward but i'm probably wrong:

Drain boiler/unplug power from pump (its a plug type)/remove 4 allen screws and take pump off/refit new one.

I got a quote for £250 off a plumber. I can buy a new pump myself for £110 or a second hand one for a tenner of ebay.

Obviously if it's gonna be a more complicated job i'll have to pay the plumber.

ISOLATE the appliance from the mains firstly!

But thats it..... (don't buy second hand IMO)

Remeber to vent the boiler (it should have an AAV already open though) when you have fitted the new pump head.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
That price seems rather high!

But I suppose you are another of the customers who call an engineer out to diagnose a fault for free so that you can fix it yourself.

Thats ripping off the engineer!

To compensate for freeloaders he then has to increase the price to cover all his wasted visits.

I always charge to diagnose faults and then fit most parts at no more than the price of the parts. Probably about £160 in your case.

Tony

That price seems rather high!

But I suppose you are another of the customers who call an engineer out to diagnose a fault for free so that you can fix it yourself.

Thats ripping off the engineer!

To compensate for freeloaders he then has to increase the price to cover all his wasted visits.

I always charge to diagnose faults and then fit most parts at no more than the price of the parts. Probably about £160 in your case.

Tony

Then you suppose wrong.
I had no intention of doing it myself until he priced £250 and said he could fit it in one hour.
Assuming he can get the part at trade he is charging me £150+ per hour!
And you think I'M ripping engineers off!

I am sorry if you dont agree with me!

He apparently came out to you and spent his time and expertise to diagnose the fault on YOUR boiler.

Apart from the time taken he has overheads, gas training, certification and annual registration. Supply and maintenance and running costs of his van. Thats about 70p per mile and many people travel an average of 10 miles return to their nearby jobs. So for a start he has probably spent £7 just on travelling.

I always clarify our charging policy which includes a fixed price diagnostic fee. After we have been paid to diagnose its up to the customer to decide if he wants to do the work himself or get anyone else although in most cases we only charge for the parts. If you did not bother to ask him about his charges and he comes to you, diagnoses the fault and you refuse to pay him for his work diagnosing your fault then I see that as you ripping off the engineer.

Someone did that to me last week! He was a landlord and pretended that it was his own house, gave a false second name, gave the wrong boiler model, was not present when I attended and did not leave any payment with the tenants. The only good thing was that it was only a mile away and I used a vehicle which does about 50 mpg so my losses were small.

Its because of people like him that I have to get repair costs at tenanted properties paid before I start.

Tony

He actually lives on the next street and he nipped in on his way home from work for literally five whole minutes at the third time of asking (the first 2 times he didn't turn up and I wasted MY time waiting in for him).
I respect what you are saying and I didn't post on this forum for an argument - I thought I might get some DIY advice.
However in this particular case I can assure you that I am NOT ripping anyone off!
Anyway I think i'll still get him to do it as I don't want to bodge it.
Cheers

If you don't like the price, you could always make him an offer. If he doesn't bite, ring round for quotes and give him one last chance to match the price.

If he was only on the next street AND you already knew him then I would agree that a different expectation could be considered.

However, in that were the case then I am surprised that he quoted such a high price.

On the other hand if you just went round to his house after seeing his van then he may not have liked that. Many people with sign written vans expect to be able to live without people knocking on their doors at all times for help/free advice! He may have quoted high to put you off.

Nor do I think that you should bargain with him over an inflated price. He quoted that price and it should be the lowest that he is prepared to do the work for. ( Unless he is an Arab who expects to always be knocked down on price ).

My view is that its an apparently excessive price. That might be that he is a bit of a cowboy. OR, and thats perhaps evidenced by him not coming twice, that he expected that you were only asking with to intention of doing it yourself.

Alternatively he may well be employed and does not want to do jobs outside his job or just wants to spend the evening at home and does not want other work. I know a mechanic who had to move out of London to avoid neighbours wanting him to work on their cars all day long.

I cannot come to any judgement as I dont have enough information but I strongly suggest that you get someone else who is an independent to quote for the supply and installation of the part. Should be about £84 plus the part.

Tony

If he was only on the next street AND you already knew him then I would agree that a different expectation could be considered.

However, in that were the case then I am surprised that he quoted such a high price.

On the other hand if you just went round to his house after seeing his van then he may not have liked that. Many people with sign written vans expect to be able to live without people knocking on their doors at all times for help/free advice! He may have quoted high to put you off.

Nor do I think that you should bargain with him over an inflated price. He quoted that price and it should be the lowest that he is prepared to do the work for. ( Unless he is an Arab who expects to always be knocked down on price ).
My view is that its an apparently excessive price. That might be that he is a bit of a cowboy. OR, and thats perhaps evidenced by him not coming twice, that he expected that you were only asking with to intention of doing it yourself.

Alternatively he may well be employed and does not want to do jobs outside his job or just wants to spend the evening at home and does not want other work. I know a mechanic who had to move out of London to avoid neighbours wanting him to work on their cars all day long.

I cannot come to any judgement as I dont have enough information but I strongly suggest that you get someone else who is an independent to quote for the supply and installation of the part. Should be about £84 plus the part.

Tony

Racist? Why should it be £84? Thats your price, not his. You really annoy me. :evil:

What is racist about a price of "about £84" ?

Thats " araba thomaneen sterling" if you would like it in arabic.

What is racist about a price of "about £84" ?

Thats " araba thomaneen sterling" if you would like it in arabic.

English will do.

No one said anything racist about £84... Not sure where you got that from.

I think it was because you implied all Arabs will try and knock the price down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back