Boiler removed - patch up needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have recently removed a boiler from our kitchen wall and it has revealed some damaged plasterboard underneath where it was. There is quite a draught coming through the holes and so I would like to fill these somehow before we mount some mdf over it which we are planning to paint with magnetic paint and then cover with some chalkboard paint.

How would you guys go about this?

20160327_111437.jpg

Sponsored Links
Deal with the electric cable first

no safe zone.jpg

By removing the item that was in the green circle ( socket for the boiler most likely ) the cables behind the plaster in the red box are no longer in a safe zone. The item that was in the green circle created a safe zone vertically above it

Hi, sorry I am not sure what you mean.

Those red raw plugs are nothing to do with the boiler. Not sure what was there originally but wasn't boiler related. Those cables that come down are for the kitchen lights.

Not sure what you mean by safe zone? Are you saying the cables should be directly above the light switch?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by safe zone? Are you saying the cables should be directly above the light switch?
Yes. directly above. A "safe" zone is where one can expect to find cables and hence not drll or nail that are without first checking for cables. They extend verticlly above and below and horizontally both sides of any visible electrical fitting ( switch, socket, wall lamps etc etc ).

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification. No chance of me getting that remedied so will just have to hope that any future owners have an electric cable detector!

With the plasterboard. I am guessing I just cut a big square out of it to cover all the damaged areas and then just dob and dab a new bit in? Then make good around the edgesame with filler/tape?

How is the plasterboard fixed to the wall?
I'd probably try to find the edge of the existing sheet and replace the whole thing.

I agree, considering the condition of the old plasterboard I would replace with new. Cut out a square or rectangle area that is large enough to remove all damaged areas. Be careful of those cables and cut back so it leaves a good amount of space to dot and dab with plasterboard adhesive (if it's a brick wall behind). Or cut back to the next studs after the damaged areas (if it's a stud partition wall). I'm assuming it's an exterior brick wall though if you removed a boiler.

When I patch plasterboard in this way, before fixing the new plasterboard I use an oscillating tool (a good Stanley knife will also work but it's harder work) and score a 2-3mm line about 2 inches from the edge of the cut out you've made. Then use a chisel to knock out the 2 inches of plaster from the existing plasterboard.

Then fix the new plasterboard flush with the old and then complete the joins with tape and joint compound, ready for plaster. By cutting out 2 inches of the existing plasters allows you to tape the joins flush and get a good finish on the plastering without needing to feather the plaster.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back