Paint - patches won't stick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Expert help needed from these forums yet again!

I am painting several rooms in our newly extended house. Some of the walls are old walls and others are new stud work walls which have been skimmed. Most of the skimming took place in October 2008 however one wall was done last month.

I gave the walls a mist coat (about 50/50) using diluted Dulux rich matt and am now painting a second coat using Wickes paint for new plaster.

My problem is that while the mist coat seems to have covered the surface, when I then applied the normal coat, the paint lifted away in several places. Their are about four small patches where this has happened - when I run the short fibre roller I am using it pulls small pieces of paint (including the mist coat) away and reveals the skim. I can see that if I placed a scraper between the skim and paint it would come away quite easily. I tried sanding the edges and re-painting the mist and then the normal coat but nore bits lifted.

The rest of the walls are fine and the paint seems to have adhered quite well.

As I have lots of rooms to paint I would like to know what could be causing this? I didn't wash the walls with sugar soap - could it be that?

Also what is the best way of "filling" the patches where the paint has come away so that I can re-paint it without a patch showing.

Many thanks
Michelle

Sponsored Links
Not sure on what caused you prob but it might be some splashes of PVA.

Once mist coated, you can just use a normal paint, I would not use the new plaster paint after a mist coat.

Just use some paint that you want to finish the room with.

If you want a magnolia finish, I highly recommend Dulux Trade Vinyl soft sheen its lovely paint which gives a very mild sheen.
its more washable than matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back