Another painting over stain question

23 Dec 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom

The other side of this wall is external. The render had blown and was coming away in chunks.

This was causing water to seep through the wall causing damp patches.

The rendering was replaced last week.

I have scraped off the paint that was bubbling and peeling.

The plaster work is in good condition and not blown.

The wall was skimmed and had a mist coat prior to painting 4 years ago, however as the paint seems to come off so easily, perhaps the mist coat wasnt good enough?

How to repair?

-wait for damp stains to dry?
- then remist coat the bare plaster?
-then some peole have suggested zinsser bin shellac based primer over the stains?
-Then repaint entire wall with several coats of glidden vinyl silk (this was originally used to paint the wall?
-Will several coats be enough to blend in the big hole?

Thankyou for your advice
Sponsored Links
As you said let it dry, I would use Zinsser Bullseye 123 rather than BIN and if using that personally I wouldn't worry about a mist coat.
out of interest, why use 123 rather than BIN. Ive read lots of the debates but found no definitive answers.

The general thinking is use oil based (hence my choice of BIN) to cover water stains...

What are your thoughts?
123 is water based rather than BIN which is mythlated sprit so I feel a water base product is better suited to plaster.

Bin is better for covering knots in timber than 123.

For best results with 123 like many stain blockers apply two coats, you may find the stain bleeding through the first but it will be locked in and the second will cover perfectly.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local