Boiler repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please help, we have a combi boiler very old 20yr+ VRT-OTA, VC/VCW Vailliant - not sure if this name is correct.

It has started making a loud noise as though a motor is running inside but is struggling??

Someone has suggested the boiler may need filling with water from the top?

Would much appreciate some help.

Thanks
Rebecca

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler have a pressure Gauge on it? If so needs to read between 1-1.5 when boiler is cold. Should be a couple of small taps and a silver braided hose underneath to allow water into the system. Turn both taps on until pressure reads just over 1, then turn both taps off again.

If it's a conventional open vented system, you'll nee to look in the loft for the smaller of the 2 cisterns, check this has water in it.

Hi,

Yes the gauge is at that on the boiler, its a self filling one i think from a tank in the loft

Someone has suggested it could be frozen and to check the pipes outside so i am going to check this when i get in, not sure if the pipes even run outside.

Thanks for your advice.

Becca

If it has a pressure gauge on the front it is unlikely to be fed from a loft cistern. Cistern fed systems work at atmospheric pressure, sealed systems run slightly higher, hence need for pressure gauge. If pressure is low, then add some more water if you are able, and see if this assists. Failing that it may be time to get someone in to look at it.

External pipes should not have a bearing on a boiler of that age unless it has been discharging through the Pressure relief valve (PRV), (which will be a copper pipe merging outside somewhere underneath the boiler position). If this is operating, and discharging water, then you have other issues which, again, I suggest you would need to get someone experienced in these boilers to look at.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much it is really helpful,

I will try and add more water to see if this helps it any, i know i can access the inside from the top of the boiler.

Failing this i think your right i will need someone to look at it (y)

The filling loop? By any chance you wouldnt happen to know what it looks like would you?

Right i have checked all of the above, thanks again for all advice.

All this is fine, i got on the ladders last night and have narrowed it down, when the boiler is on the motor sound starts then the boiler lights the sound stops, then maybe 5-10 seconds the flame goes out then the noise starts, then same time lapse and the boiler lights and the noise stops!

Well i was just looking for some advise before i got ripped off by someone saying i need to replace everything when it could be something simple. I have found in the past if you sound like you know a bit about the product you tend not to get ripped off as a woman, same with going to a garage!

Difficult to tell from that description what it might be, pump or fan are both possibles, pump isn't a job for the faint hearted in one of those I dont think, and fan is definitely not a DIY job. Might be worth putting your location up, someone on here maybe able to either help or knows someone that could.

Thanks very much, i defo wont be trying anything myself but i thinks good to have an idea

Only definite way to diagnose is to be in front of the boiler, sorry cant be more helpful, but they can be complicated things when they go wrong, and to be honest, other than checking the pressure, and topping up if need be, there's not much more that can be done yourself. Sometimes a video clip helps with a remote diagnosis, but even then if it's gas related, we are not allowed to advise any further than to get someone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back