Boiler Saga Continues - Probable Leak...(Update 24/12/20 - Trace and Access visit)

OK very last attempt at helping you, do EXACTLY as I say, tomorrow, set the boiler pressure to 1.5 Bar, with upstairs and downstairs both open, turn the power OFF to the boiler dont bleed anything dont touch anything then go back and see what the pressure is a few hours after, has it moved ?

Hi, I'll get that done tomorrow but it's pretty much what I did today. Topped up the boiler to 1.5, turned off at switch and then went back to check the water in the measuring jug. The pressure was at 0. No radiators were bled, literally just turned the boiler off at the switch. It was round 90 minutes that I left it.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'll get that done tomorrow but it's pretty much what I did today. Topped up the boiler to 1.5, turned off at switch and then went back to check the water in the measuring jug. The pressure was at 0. No radiators were bled, literally just turned the boiler off at the switch. It was round 90 minutes that I left it.

If this is the case, then you have considerable leak imo.

Sponsored Links
This was always my impression as well. Which makes the fact that no gas escaped during the test even more baffling.

What happens with gas test if leak is on the very bottom of the system, on a dead leg and the gas is blocked from escaping by a slug of water in the dead leg?

Hmmmn!

Morning all.

The issue has now been sorted. I managed to take a large section of laminate up in the family room, tape down any edges ready for inspection holes to be cut. After a few hours of no luck finding anything yesterday the plumbers installed some more gateway valves on the pipes to rule out the kitchen area where we've had work done.

In the process of testing they heard noise in the conservatory and after further inspection and digging found the leak in the pipes running behind the skirting to the radiator. The water was pouring out. The culprit was an elbow which looked like it has completely disconnected, presumably this was leaking and made a lot worse when the BG engineer put leak sealer in or maybe it's just worsened over time.

dKgKn0u.jpg

9N0cZJH.jpg

5dtNELT.jpg

czji1jY.jpg

vsvaN5N.jpg

9pf75Zl.jpg

AdZIqY7.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/moDCgnmAyNzZz8Ax5

The water has damaged the first couple of rows of laminate the skirting and a small part of the sub floor. I've got a dehumidifier in the room and I'll see what can be saved but it looks like it's just the first rows of laminate and skirting that will need replacing.

I don't think there's any point in going through insurance as the excess and subsequent increase in premium is not worth it really. I'll take the laminate out of the porch to use in the conservatory and tile the porch, a job I've been wanting to do for a while now anyway.

In terms of the leaking elbow the pipes have been cut and capped off for now and rather than trying to fix them I'm going to get a new radiator installed which will run back to back with another new radiator in the family room, this will mean no pipes will have to run in the skirting.

Thanks for all the help along the way guys. I'll be lodging a complaint with the entirely useless leak detection company but I'm just glad it's finally sorted and I don't have to get up at 4am to top up the boiler to make sure my little one doesn't get too cold!!

glad you got it sorted.

i'm surprised you didnt notice this leak,

Me too, and the number of professionals that have inspected the same area. There were no obvious signs of a leak until they started opening up, then the musty smell hit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back