Boiler Service engineer left my boiler with a fault!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I organised a service and gas safety check for my tenants boiler (Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28), the servicing went well and the boiler was declared to be in good working order, the following morning my tenant contacted me to let me know the boiler was making a noise and struggling to provide hot water, the boiler needed a reset and then it was okay for a day or 2 and would then require another reset. I contacted the boiler service company to report the fault. The response was as follows:

"if there was a fault which could be the result of items that we conduct during a service (such as a water leak or a pressure fault etc) then of course it would lend more evidence to the fault potentially being caused by the engineer. However, performing a boiler service would not create a new fault to occur on a boiler, in some cases it can cause underlying faults to occur (as servicing is literally stress testing the appliance at its maximum working capacity). Unfortunately it is very common for faults to occur after a service, this certainly is not a surprise to hear but of course I can understand that the convenient timing of this taking place, would make you question the engineers attendance.

If you are not happy to make payment prior to the visit, then I could offer you the chance to have an engineer attend without requesting payment from yourself. On conclusion of this diagnostic the engineer would then confirm the cause of this fault, if the cause is confirmed to be an underlying fault - then we would expect the £xx be paid on conclusion of the diagnostic. If the engineer confirms the fault was caused by actions taken by our engineer (actions not related to standard checks as part of a service or gas safety) then we can discuss a refund/repair further. You can also be present with the diagnostic engineer whilst he is on site if you would like to have a guarantee."

I arranged for the diagnostics engineer to attend the property last week and he was able to witness the fault, and diagnose a faulty PCB board and fan, the repair would cost around £600. As the boiler is over 10 years old they also recommended a new boiler at around £2.5k. However the plot thickened and the engineer fiddled around with some internal components, his main focus was on the air inlet pipe to the fan whereby he disconnected and reconnected the pipe, after this the noise went and the fluctuating temperature readings on the PCB board disappeared. The problem is intermittent so I expected the fault to happen again the following day, however ever since the diagnostics visit the fault has disappeared and the boiler is back to good working order as before the service. I have now challenged the service company as the boiler appears to have been fixed somehow whilst the diagnostics took place, they are insistent that the fault is underlying and that it has nothing to do with the boiler service therefore I should pay for the diagnostics appointment. However, my argument is the boiler no longer has a fault and the PCB board / fan diagnostic is incorrect. It seems that something was not put back in place during the boiler service which led to the noise and the boiler being unable to heat water on demand.

The facts are the boiler doesn't have the fault now, it didn't have the fault before the service, had the fault after the service and the fault disappeared when the gas engineer checked out the issues. I have been told to replace the PCB board and fan but the fault no longer exists.

When challenging the service company this was their response
"I understand your perspective here - However, as the engineer noted the issues relate to the fan and PCB, this does confirm that the faults were not the result of any previous service or inspection. As these 2 items are not touched or tampered with when performing a service. The reason the engineer is able to return the boiler to a good working level now - is because he can take account for the existing faults and attempt to rectify them. However, these underlying faults were not present during initial testing so the engineer could not advise or attempt to rectify them. The engineer has now taken steps to rectify this and I am glad he was able to do so - However, as noted previously this is certainly the case that the faults were underlying on the appliance due to faulty components and not the result of the past inspection."

I told them I don't believe these faults were underlying as they no longer exist since the diagnostics, but they are insistent that I have an issue with the PCB board and fan. If the boiler is working perfectly well since the diagnostics then why are they insisting I still have these problems? Surely the resolution of the faults point to an issue during the service which has now been resolved during the diagnostics, therefore I should not be paying for the diagnostics appointment as it appears they created the fault. I feel I am being fobbed off and unless I filmed the service and diagnostics I have no leg to stand on. I feel like I'm being told a load of rubbish in order for me to pay up for fixing their own error. Would it be worth reporting this to Gas Safe Register or any other type of ombudsman? I feel injustice :(

Sponsored Links
From what you have posted I can see no evidence that there is or ever was any fault with the fan or PCB.

These are individual components which are unlikely to both fail at the same time. If either had failed then it is also most unlikely to repair itself.

My conclusion is that they named two expensive components expecting you to agree to an expensive boiler replacement but found no evidence of any faults with either.

Both the PCB and fan are required to be working correctly for the boiler to be working at all.

I am wondering what the name of this company is.

From what you have posted I can see no evidence that there is or ever was any fault with the fan or PCB.

These are individual components which are unlikely to both fail at the same time. If either had failed then it is also most unlikely to repair itself.

My conclusion is that they named two expensive components expecting you to agree to an expensive boiler replacement but found no evidence of any faults with either.

Both the PCB and fan are required to be working correctly for the boiler to be working at all.

I am wondering what the name of this company is.
These guys have responded with the most amazing word salad, truly meant to cause bafflement : ) I see you have left an email address on your profile to contact you with, I will PM you there

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The boiler was working after the engineer left after the service,but the next morning there was an issue,and boiler was reset, after which it worked fine for a day or so ,then needed a reset , after that did it continue to work again ?
The fault was obviously intermittent . Although the inspecting engineer suspected a problem with PCB and fan ,it appears that he then continued investigating and " fiddled around" with other components ,whatever that means is anyone's guess, and I would want to know specifically what he did ,before judging that the original service guy either created the issue,or should have had reason to do what the inspector did ,on a working boiler ,as part of a service.
With regard to the PCB/ fan replacements ,if indeed either or both are intermittently not functioning as they should,at some point complete failure will occur and you can address that at the time ,if indeed that occurs.
As it's only a week since the second guy attended,it's a bit early to say for certain that it's gonna last.

Last edited:
Did the boiler display a fault code and red light at any time it needed resetting?

The boiler was working after the engineer left after the service,but the next morning there was an issue,and boiler was reset, after which it worked fine for a day or so ,then needed a reset , after that did it continue to work again ?
The fault was obviously intermittent . Although the inspecting engineer suspected a problem with PCB and fan ,it appears that he then continued investigating and " fiddled around" with other components ,whatever that means is anyone's guess, and I would want to know specifically what he did ,before judging that the original service guy either created the issue,or should have had reason to do what the inspector did ,on a working boiler ,as part of a service.
With regard to the PCB/ fan replacements ,if indeed either or both are intermittently not functioning as they should,at some point complete failure will occur and you can address that at the time ,if indeed that occurs.
As it's only a week since the second guy attended,it's a bit early to say for certain that it's gonna last.
The boiler was fine before the service and was signed off as good working order, when my tenant needed hot water in the morning after the service the boiler did not provide hot water and made a grinding noise, resetting the boiler got it working again but the boiler repeated the same issue again and again, over a 7 week period (after the service) this went from being intermittent to a daily occurrence. After the diagnostics appointment last week, the boiler is working perfectly as before the service. I have been quoted £600 for replacing the fan and PCB board. I guess it is too early to tell.

Time will tell ,and you certainly don't have to proceed with their quote.
Without knowing exactly what second engineer did ,I don't think you have a case to not pay them. Where in the north west are you ?

My view is that there is not and never was any fault with the fan or PCB.

And that it was not a correct diagnosis.

And in that case it is very questionable that you need to pay them for an incorrect diagnosis.

I would also add that it is not possible to diagnose a fault on a part that is working normaly.

Time will tell ,and you certainly don't have to proceed with their quote.
Without knowing exactly what second engineer did ,I don't think you have a case to not pay them. Where in the north west are you ?
North West London...and formally Wigan. A bit of both : ) True I suspect I would need more hard evidence to get anywhere.

My view is that there is not and never was any fault with the fan or PCB.

And that it was not a correct diagnosis.

And in that case it is very questionable that you need to pay them for an incorrect diagnosis.

I would also add that it is not possible to diagnose a fault on a part that is working normaly.
I most certainly agree. I will make a final plea to the company but I will not make a claim. The amount in question is not worth the time, if I had paid £600 for repairs that aren't needed I'd be more inclined. At least the boiler works now : )

OK I may get shot for this because it's kinda DIY- but I had an intermittent problem a while ago. I inspected and realised the fan wasn't running properly (would jam)

So I just rotated the fan manually a few times and it seemed to move freely. Problem solved - for a few weeks! then it happened again. Replaced the fan and solved the problem properly

Not saying this is your issue - but just pointing out that these intermittent issues can happen and not necessarily the guy's fault who did the service

OR also very possible the service guy didn't connect the air hose properly to the fan - easy enough to do and we are all human! Problem is that you cant prove one way or the other. Maybe just suck it up? I think things like this are better with independent RGI's - get a good guy and stay loyal. There are some excellent guys on this forum... maybe see if there's anyone in your area

Last edited:
If it faults again just get Vaillant out under their fixed price repair scheme and if they agree it needs a pcb and a fan which I very much doubt, they will do it for around £300 and you will have a warranty, but as already said I doubt that is what was the fault

OK I may get shot for this because it's kinda DIY- but I had an intermittent problem a while ago. I inspected and realised the fan wasn't running properly (would jam)

So I just rotated the fan manually a few times and it seemed to move freely. Problem solved - for a few weeks! then it happened again. Replaced the fan and solved the problem properly

Not saying this is your issue - but just pointing out that these intermittent issues can happen and not necessarily the guy's fault who did the service

OR also very possible the service guy didn't connect the air hose properly to the fan - easy enough to do and we are all human! Problem is that you cant prove one way or the other. Maybe just suck it up? I think things like this are better with independent RGI's - get a good guy and stay loyal. There are some excellent guys on this forum... maybe see if there's anyone in your area
I agree, I'm sure he had to reconnect the air inlet pipe, he touched it and it didn't seem to be attached. However without filming the whole service and diagnosis, I lack evidence. I suppose the one good thing is the boiler's working and I only have to cover the cost of the diagnosis even if it was an error on their part. Too early to say if the problem will come back, it was happening daily now not at all. You're right about an independent RGI's, I have started using this company who offer great deals for landlords but it always seems rushed, 20 minute gas safety check and boiler service, you get what you pay for :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back