Boiler Serviced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks
Just had my boiler serviced by Bosch eng to go on their Service contract.
This was refused as said that the gas flow into the boiler was only 9mbar
and should be 15.5mbar.Mains pressure wad at 22mbar.Losing pressure somewhere down the line from mains to inlet to boiler which is a 22mm pipe.Is there a filter or regulator in line.?What would be the cost of such a repair?
The boiler itself runs fine only notice hot water is not boiling and in winter the downstairs shower temp is poor.Had previous topic on this.

Sponsored Links
The length of the pipe run, the number of bends in it and any other appliances connected to it are as significant as the diameter of the pipe.

Just because it is 22mm pipe doesn't mean that it is big enough... A long run with lots of elbows (And maybe a spot of 15mm pipe in a place where you cannot see) means that your pipework may still be restricted. My 30kW combi is right on the limit after just a few meters of 22mm... What size boiler do you have?

Of course the pipe may also be crushed somewhere or have a huge blob of solder restricting it too...

My Baxi 133 has had to have 28 almost to the boiler and I can only just achieve 19mb at the gas valve. Your isntaller needs a slap by the look of it.

Sponsored Links
If it used to be OK but now it isn't then its possible you have sulphidisation occurring in your pipework. Usually found in places where water has got into the mains at some point. The small amounts of sulphur in the gas react with the copper to give a graphite coloured coating to the inside of the pipe. This coating grows and then falls off. It is very light in weight so it then blows along the pipe and causes blockages at gas valves, low lying runs, bends and other obstructions.
Worth trying a compressor on it; if you happen to have this problem.

I assume the engineer didn't take the gas valve off to check the inlet filter was not clogged up with the sulphur that slug has mentioned?

Hi guys thanks for replies.
I moved to this house a year ago ( eng said boiler was 6 years old) and don,t know who installed it so no contact their.The eng did check the filter he mentioned about water getting into the pipes and causing contamination but this seemed ok.So it looks like its down to be piping.
from mains to boiler 22mm pipe about 6metres in length, 4 angled joins and x2 straight throos.
Would a complete pipe replacement resolve this problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back