boiler starts up then goes to red light ,pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
my main concern is that the engineer has said that i needs a new pcb board and im worried that im getting ripped off as i have have just paid him £90 for e censor replacing i think

it started with the pressure . when i got that upto the 1.5 . the boiler wouldnt start @ all . i called out engineer he replace two little parts @ £20 each . it got working again , hot water fine but the central heating just kept stopping and going on red light . i have had one week and now it just goes onto red light when i turn on or reset .

when it starts up you can hear things get going , fan and so on but then fails and goes to red light . its a ferroli falcon combi boiler

all advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Common faults on these are the thermistors (temperature sensors)...appears they have been replaced. The water pressure switch appears to have been replaced...perhaps it was blocked.

Does the boiler red light come on as soon as you request heating? or does the boiler get very hot (maybe very noisy) and then shutdown with the red light? This would indicate overheating due to poor flow (isolating valves closed/rad valves closed) or failed pump.

If the hot water is still working you can probably rule out the other common faults.....broken venturi/pitot tubes, APS, incorrect flue restrictor rings, incorrect position of ignition and sense electrodes, incorrect ignition burner pressure. If these have been checked and are ok then pcb is normally next. I've changed many.

hi there , thanks for the response much appreciated

Does the boiler red light come on as soon as you request heating?
yes . it comes on automatically on both i cant have heating nor hot water

or does the boiler get very hot (maybe very noisy) and then shutdown with the red light? .
it did this for about a week and then went straight to the red light as in th e first question .

what is the next step ? and a new pcb board wouldnt that be the last option and if so how much are they ?

ad

If all the other checks have been done then it comes down to the board. Not sure if it's identical to the Modenas but they are around £150 - £190.

They also need setting up - ie not plug and play.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back