Boiler switches on during the night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi Gledhill Gulfstream 2000.

I can hear the boiler switching on and off through the night even though the central heating is off (the radiators click as if they're heating up but they do remain cold). The boiler stays on for 20-30 seconds, turns off, but the process repeats later on. As a complete novice, I thought the boiler would remain off until the CH switches on in the morning or else I turn the hot tap on.

The house is a newbuild that I moved into nearly 3 years ago. I asked the builder about this when I first moved in, but he said it was normal for the hot water to be on constantly.

Is it right that the boiler should be doing this all the time, or do I need to get it fixed?

Sponsored Links
Unfamilier with that model but it may be a pre-heat facility which keeps boiler hot so there isn't a long delay for hot water to get to tap

Again... not too familiar.
Are you sure the boiler is a combi? I thought these were combined heating and HW storage boilers therefore not strictly a combi.
If so I would suspect it is just maintaining the temp of the HW store just in case you intend to run a quick bath at 3am.
Why not check the Gledhill web site?

Hope this helps

The unit is based on a thermal store; but has a boiler inside it; never worked on one personally; but we have a couple on our area that I'm aware of...

As Mr Smyth stated; it is simply keeping it's hot water store up to temperature; make sure the leccy backup system is turned off... If your water temps are too high; you may find one of the stats has gone out of calibration and the unit is working overtime to keep the store up at an even higher temperature.

Should be nothing too worry about; but get a registered installer in to give it a service and once-over to be on the safe side.

Sponsored Links
Gledhill Gulfstream 2000 eeeeekkkk huge thing

Coming on in the middle of the night.
1, Pre heat kicking in warming up the large heat bank.

2. Frost stat fitted? depending where you live & where the boiler is sited might bring the boiler on as protection.

3.At what intervals does the boiler turn on, yes for 20/30 seconds when its on, but how long does it stay off for? if it 30min to a few hours its just reheating the heat bank.

4.Gledhill as far as I'm aware don't have their own engineers. Try Britsh Gas. They will work on it for you at a cost of £??? inc VAT & Parts

5.Do NOT work on it yourself, you must be Corgi reg and know what your doing with a Gulfstream

Thanks for the replies.

I had another read of the user instructions last night. It's confusing because it says it has a 75 litre storage, but then goes on to say the hot water is fresh from the mains, and not from storage. I suppose this means the storage is for the water for the central heating, but I'm guessing.

Donki said:
2. Frost stat fitted? depending where you live & where the boiler is sited might bring the boiler on as protection.
It's in my airing cupboard so I'm assuming it doesn't have frost protection.

Donki said:
3.At what intervals does the boiler turn on, yes for 20/30 seconds when its on, but how long does it stay off for? if it 30min to a few hours its just reheating the heat bank.
30mins to a few hours does sound about right. Probably two dumb questions - but what is the heat bank, and why does the boiler need to reheat it in the middle of the night?

Donki said:
5.Do NOT work on it yourself, you must be Corgi reg and know what your doing with a Gulfstream
Agree. I definitely won't be touching it myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back