Boiler switching itself off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been having a few problems with our old Gloworm 52 Super. Basically it's been turning itself off after a minute of firing up. I fitted a new programmer as the old one was definitely kaput.

Someone mentioned it would probably be the thermcouple that needed replacing (it's a good few years since it had a new one)

I called out a gas fitter who gave it a good clean out but reckoned the thermocouple was okay. Still no joy though. I light the pilot & the boiler fires up but I hear a click & it all goes off (including the pilot).

Any ideas folks?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the pilot goes out, or the boiler just gets up to temperature and shuts down?

It could be worth checking your pump is working, could be a lack of flow problem or the boiler overheating, or both.

Could even be gas related, although the chap you had round should have sussed it in the service if it was.

There's a click & the burner and pilot both shut off simultaneously. It happens about 30 seconds after it's fired up. It was working okay earlier in the week (after the gas fitter had been).

I doubt that its a circulation or overheat problem if it is going off after only 30 seconds, unless the boiler is dry :eek:

I think you need to call the gas engineer back in under his warranty to have another look.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate....I'll do that.

Don't know what you mean by warranty though, he never gave us any receipts etc :LOL:

Fortunately he only lives in the next road, so I'll go & knock on his door.

def. call out a reg. gas installer/engineer.

it may be something like a blockage in the pilot jet or gas governor faulty and not letting enougb gas through.

may even be a blocage in the pipe to the burner not allowing enough gas through...

don't touch it yourself though it is dangerous mate.

Anybody who services a boiler should be happy to return to it after only a week. It may just need a more thorough clean of the pilot injector. I would not charge again for this if I had missed it the first time.

I would charge though if it was something not covered/checked under a normal service.

Thanks Dave.

He was originally coming to give it a service @ £50 + vat, & replace the thermocouple.

He just gave it a clean and charged us £40. :confused:

Obviously I haven't a clue what he has done by 'giving it a quick clean', but I would certainly always do a thorough service and inspection, removeing as many parts as was needed for cleaning and checking.

Unfortunately I always charge the quoted price and do a proper job, rather than 'just go round it with a hoover' and charge less.

I am not perfect, I occasionally get called back after a service to make a fine adjustment, had one this week, where the interupter on the thermocouple ended up somehow touching the boiler case after about 2 days and cutting the pilot out.

Soon popped back same day as 'phone call, moved it slightly, no charge to customer, everyone happy.

Just had a thought. This has happened since we had a new gas meter fitted...we've just had a prepayment meter installed. Do you think something may have happened with the gas pressure in the meantime?

I doubt it, but anything is possible. Could be a spec of dirt dislodged in the gas meter changeover that has got into the pilot injector.

The guy who serviced your boiler should have done all the basic checks for pressure etc at the gas meter whilst he was there 'doing the service'. Would only add about 5 minutes to the job.

Pilot assy needs splitting to get to injector and cleaned out properly.
Partially blocked pilot is pulling away from the t/couple when main burner is coming on. Allowing it to cool

Thanks for that. Bloke in the pub last night (plumbing & heating guy) said the pump could be knackered as well.

It may just need a more thorough clean of the pilot injector. I would not charge again for this if I had missed it the first time.

namsag said:
Pilot assy needs splitting to get to injector and cleaned out properly.
Partially blocked pilot is pulling away from the t/couple when main burner is coming on. Allowing it to cool

Turned out that this was the problem. He did charge me a further £20 though. I won't be using him again.

Thanks to all those to gave advice. I've bookmarked this website for future usage. Excellent stuff :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back