Boiler switching on&off&on&off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Please any advice would be appreciated.
We have a baxi solo non-combi boiler feeding a pressurised (sealed) CH system

Our boiler switches on in the morning and burns for a short while (to get up to temp presumably) and then starts firing up&off&up&off etc...

The boiler stays on the whole time but the pilot and burner turn off&on&off&on at intervals of about 3-5 seconds.

I can imagine that turning off and on is a way to keep at top temp while not overheating and also conserving gas but I find it surprising that the off&on would be at such short intervals. The boiler burner is switching on probably nearly 100 times per hour which makes me think of parts wearing out.
The whummpf of the boiler going on also gets a bit annoying.

We recently had a portion of our upstairs radiator pipes re-routed to solve a bit of a problem we had. Is it possible the re-routing could have affected the flow which may have an affect on the boiler lighting?

We also recently had the boiler serviced (same company different engineer though) and given a clean health bill.

In short, im wondering if its just me finding a fault where there is none (ie is the boiler supposed to do that) or is there a probable cause for the occurrence that I need to get one of the two engineers back for to have a look at?

Any advice on it would be really appreciated.
Thank you for your time in reading.

Alex ( BobSpoons )

Sponsored Links
Do the radiators get hot? If not the pump may be broken.

Hi
Yes the radiators get hot.

As far as I can tell the actual heating of the house works fine (Though I cant tell if its taking longer to heat up due to the off&on&off&on aspect)

Thanks for the idea though.

Alex

If it's a Solo 3...

Check the APS pipes and plastic elbow for cracks or splits.

Sponsored Links
My non-combi boiler was doing a similar thing before a recent service. It turned out that fan needed replacing.

baxpoti said:
If it's a Solo 3...

Check the APS pipes and plastic elbow for cracks or splits.

I had this problem once baxpoti found it to be crud in the venturi

If it`s a Solo 2 PF they did change the pilot kit.the original injectors get clogged up. lower pilot flame boiler causing boiler to fire then shut down cos pcb not able to rectify quickly enough.

I've had the solo 3 supplied with what turned out to be the wrong flue restrictor, even though it was stamped correctly. This caused the fault you mention. replacing this cured the problem.

Thanks for all the info folks.

Is all out of my depth so we are going to get the good bloke back who serviced the boiler and let him have a look at it.

Cheers

Alex

Well folks the boiler is fixed :)

Thanks for all the help.
Apparently the fault was this one:

Check the APS pipes and plastic elbow for cracks or splits

and is now fixed.
The guy had to borrow a role of selotape from my wife at one point which concerns me a bit (why selotape inside a boiler I wonder?? Or was it for one of his tools or role of pipe or something??) but they are a good outfit so I cant imagine it was anything heath-robinson.

Again thanks very much for the advice folks.

Alex

BobSpoons said:
Well folks the boiler is fixed :)

Thanks for all the help.
Apparently the fault was this one:

Check the APS pipes and plastic elbow for cracks or splits

and is now fixed.
The guy had to borrow a role of selotape from my wife at one point which concerns me a bit (why selotape inside a boiler I wonder?? Or was it for one of his tools or role of pipe or something??) but they are a good outfit so I cant imagine it was anything heath-robinson.

Again thanks very much for the advice folks.

Alex

is this the model where condensation gets inside the aps tubes and the tubes are no longer made.. possibly steel or aluminium at the rear of the boiler

Hi
Sorry Ive no idea Ive never seen right inside the boiler and its all a bit out of my depth im afraid.
Alex

PS: I thinks its the Baxi 3 from looking at pics on the net

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back