Boiler system help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my name is Phill and im new to this forum. Just bought my first house and looking on here for a few tip and a bit of help if you could give me either i would be very happy.

so my problem at the moment is the house has recently had a new boiler fitted, from what i can tell its either a worcester greenstar 12i 15i 18i or 24i model, these i believe are a system type condenser boiler. I have a hot water cylinder and a header tank upstairs in my bathroom, however i want to remove the cylinder and header tank to make more room! is this possible with this type of boiler? i thought the gas boiler would produce hot water straight to the tap seen as it produces hot water for the central heating!! why have the cylinder ? im confused at the moment so if anyone has any ideas on a way of removing the cylinder etc or to tell me that i have to keep these items because of the boiler type i would be grateful.

I don't really want to change the boiler at the moment as it has only been fitted in the house 6 months!!

Thanks in advance

Phill Robinson

Sponsored Links
Phill
The boiler that you have is indeed a system boiler.
You do need to have a hot water cylinder with this type of boiler.
The difference between these and heat only boilers are that the pump is actually part of the boiler.Also as these are pressurised sytems the boiler also contains a expansion vessel.

You could do away with the header tank, but you would need to change your cylinder.a) from a gravity system to an unvented(mains pressure cylinder).However with unvented's you need good incoming pressure and flow on the mains.
And they are not cheap compared to a standard cylinder, or
b)changing your current cylinder to one that contains the cistern on top of the cylinder.

Or, if your feeling really flush, and want to scrap a perfectly good boiler, then you could always go down the combi route, although imho I would keep with a stored hot water system.

Hope that this helps

Graham

Hi Graham, thanks for the reply.

So common sense would be to stick with the current setup and live with the cylinder.

How does this system work? does the boiler not produce hot water for the taps then? i've heard that using a old cylinder system is more expensive as i would be heating water up constantly until i need to use it!!

Theres no way i can afford to get rid of the new boiler at the moment as the whole house needs modernizing!

Cheers, Phill

Phill

The boiler does produce water for the hot water cylinder, but heats the cylinder through the coil inside.

You should have either a three way motorised valve or 2 two way motorised valves.They are normally close to the cylinder, but could be close to the boiler.

What happens is that the boiler fires either for hot water or central heating,or both, and then these valves divert the water to where it needs to go.

Some people say that is more expensive to store hot water than not, but the advantage you have over an instantaneous system(combi) is that if you have an immersion heater fitted, then at least you have hot water if your boiler packs up.And trust me they all do at some time.

As said before my personal choice would be stored hot water.

Hope this helps

Graham

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back