System Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my heating & hot water, I presently have an indirect cylinder with header tank & pressurised. I am proposing to fit a new System boiler, pressurised & without any header tank but my plumber is saying that I need a different cylinder even thou it is insulated and in good condition. Is he correct or is he "beefing up" the job.

Sponsored Links
There is no reason or regulation to say you have to replace your hw cylinder. As none of us here have seen your existing cylinder we can only give info on your post :rolleyes:

Have a new system boiler fitted and keep your hw cylinder. A mains unvented will give better hot water performance if fitted correctly to a large enough cold mains supply and you have at least 3 bar cold mains pressure and around 20 litres/min flow.

Many thanks. System boiler with existing cylinder seems to fit the bill and be more efficient.

It depends on the type of insulation on your old cylinder, if you have major work done on your heating system these days you're supposed to have the cylinder and the controls brought up yo current regs. I.E. fast recovery cylinder with factory fitted (sprayed on) insulation, trvs, roomstat etc.

Sponsored Links
Its recommended to upgrade your cylinder but as yet not mandatory ;)

I didn't know that dave, I thought it was a requirement of the regs. Then again I haven't looked at that blue folder thingy I was given since I did the energy efficiency course. :oops:

It is recommended because if you fit a new HE boiler and don't replace your old cylinder the extra 10-15% efficiency the boiler gains can be nearly wiped out by any scale formed on the coil in the old cylinder. If I remember correctly i think it is something like 10% loss of efficiency for every 1mm scale :eek:

No doubt one of our more technical colleagues on here can confirm this or put me right ;)

This post prompted me to dig that blue folder out (about time), as far as I can make out it says basic practise to meet the regs is a factory lagged cylinder, best practice is factory lagged with a high recovery coil.

If its an old cylinder thats not even to the old BS regs (which were still rubbish) the coil may only be a single turn so the boiler will constantly cycle.

sooey said:
This post prompted me to dig that blue folder out (about time), as far as I can make out it says basic practise to meet the regs is a factory lagged cylinder, best practice is factory lagged with a high recovery coil.

Agree with you sooey!

Corgi are you cidered up? Trv's everywhere according to CHeSS basic :LOL:

Not yet I aint but I am working on it

and chess basic is trv's in all rooms used for sleeping

best pracrice is trvs in all rooms except the one where the interlock is to be located

:)

Thought that as well if boiler being upgraded cylinder had to meet part L

namsag said:

that is my understanding as well,cly has to meet bs1566 to comply with part l.

bripl said:
namsag said:

that is my understanding as well,cly has to meet bs1566 to comply with part l.

It does :)

so when you upgrade a boiler the cylinder (if not part l comp) must be changed to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back