Boiler Temperature Rising and Falling Rapidly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with the CH for my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 42CDi combi boiler. The boiler is basically repeating the same routine:

1) The flame lights, and the temperature display rises rapidly (around 1 degree per second) until it hits around 60 degrees or more.
2) The flame then goes out, and the display drops to below 50 before the flame lights again and repeats the cycle.

The hot water is still fine, but I'm just having this problem with the CH. Yesterday it was showing an E9 error, which means:

The display shows alternatively the CH flow temperature and this code. The gradient limitation is active. The primary temperature is rising too fast and the burner has switched off for 2 minutes.

According to the manual, these are the suggested check/solutions:

- Sealed system (pressure between 1 and 2 bar
- Open vented system (enough water in the feed and expansion tank)
- Pump seized or sticking
- Harness disconnected or broken between flue safety stat or overheat stat
- Harness connections from both safety stats to the PCB
- PCB board defective

Any ideas of what to look at? Is this a job for a completely inexperienced guy like me, or a professional?

Sponsored Links
Any one of the above, or more likely the boiler is waaaay to powerful for the system it's connected to

The boilers has been working well since I moved in, and it's been in place for the last 2 years. So I'd guess that it's not a case of it being too powerful.

Out of all of those things, is there anything that someone with zero experience with boilers could easily look in to before getting a professional in to look at it?

Any tips would be hugely welcomed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back