Boiler Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a property which needs some decorating & modernising.
I have a 1975 boiler and old Honeywell thermostat. At the weekend I have disconnected and removed the thermostat as I needed to strip wallpaper. I am going to replace the thermostat and radiators in the very near future. Problem I have now is the thermostat being disconnected I can’t get my boiler to fire up. I am not too concerned about this as I am not living in there but would like to get this working again until I replace the thermostat. Is there anyway of overriding the thermostat so the boiler can run. The boiler has a very old time switch control combined water & Central heating which is further controlled by a separate modern plug in digital time clock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Assuming your roomstat has been wired up as normal, live in, sw/l out and a neutral, then all you will need to do is link the 2 lives together in a connector block.

Usually, but not always, the live in is red, sw/l out is yellow and neutral blue or if old wiring, black.

I want to try and run the boiler temporarily without the thermostat is this possible? Sorry to appear blank but which two lives do I connect please?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I want to try and run the boiler temporarily without the thermostat is this possible? Sorry to appear blank but which two lives do I connect please?
How may wires connect to the thermostat?

If there are two, then link these together using a connector block - but turn the power off first as one of them could have 240v.

If there are three wires you must identify which is the neutral (should be blue or black but that assumes the installer did the job properly). Find the other end of the cable if necessary to confirm. Link the two remaining wires together, as above.

You can control the room temperature, very crudely, by using the boiler thermostat; but it may affect the hot water temperature if you have a HW cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back