Boiler Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into an old property and have an old boiler approx 1975. This seems to be working okay, however I want to change the Boiler Time Clock controller as this looks a bit Dinosaur!! and install a new digital room thermostat.

From the back of the boiler there appears to be 2-leads, one I am guessing is the 240v mains connections as this has cable has L,N & Earth wire, and the other I am not sure (this only has Live/Neutral connection) is this for the pump or motor???

My question is will I be able to replace the Boiler Time Control Clock with a newer style 7-day digital device install this onto the boiler and then wire a new digital room thermostat from this controller?

Not sure what type of boiler, its a floor standing Boiler which does my CH & HW thats about all I know. The hot water cylinder is up stairs in the loft.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You should be able to do what you are suggesting, but more info is required.

Not sure what type of boiler, its a floor standing Boiler which does my CH & HW thats about all I know.
There should be at least a makers name or something on the front! The front panel usually un-clips to get access to the boiler for maintenance. You should find a plate behind the panel with boiler details on it.

The hot water cylinder is up stairs in the loft.
What other components can you find?

Posting some pictures would help.

Sponsored Links
Ideal Standard E Type RS Balance Flue Gas Boiler
That's answered my first question ;)

Now how about the second - what other components do you have? They will probably be in the airing cupboard with the hot water cylinder.

Say if you have any of these, and anything else:

View media item 802 View media item 5945 View media item 5946 View media item 10596
How many water pipes are there connected to the boiler?

There shouldn't be any problems replacing your dinosaur time-switch, but it will have to be external to the boiler, though a programmable thermostat may be better than separate timer and thermostat.

You should be able to remove the front panel of the boiler and see which terminals the wires connect to. I doubt if the two-core cable is for the pump as that would require an earth. It may be to the room thermostat, if you have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back