Boiler Tundish Drip Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but we have a Potterton Promax HE Store boiler at home. Yesterday morning I was woken up by a fairly steady and loud trickle of water through the tundish located in the discharge pipe after the expansion release value (the boiler is in a cupboard in our bedroom).

Ive never noticed this before and definitely not at the steady trickle that it was the yesterday morning.

Ive spoken to British Gas who are coming on Monday to have a look and see if everything is okay (we have a homecare product), but even if it is just to satisfy my curiosity more than anything, would anyone be able to explain what the likely cause is? Is it potentially serious? unsafe?

This thumbnail below is the layout of the boiler that we have and I have marked the tundish in question with a red arrow.

It appears to be running normal with no issues, hot water and heating work fine.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what does that actually mean? Replacement?

Is the system still safe to run for the next 5 days or so, if that was the issue?

Im not particularly impressed with BG and the homecare plan, as they messed around with the gas/air mix on the last service which resulted in some unbelievably loud vibration. The guy who came out to put that right wasnt the same one who did the initial service, so its probably likely the first service wasnt completed to the required standard anyway!

Sponsored Links
Should just need pumping up with air like a car tyre.

The engineer must hold a valid G3 certificate to work on the boiler so should hopefully understand what's required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back